Topic: #Warriors to Farewell Club Favorite Against Raiders

Archie

• Love My Mighty Raiders! RNA Website Developer
  • Administrator
  • Jason Croker
#Warriors to Farewell Club Favorite Against Raiders
« on: September 02, 2012, 10:07:43 AM »
Real Warrior Luck to signs off with no regrets

The Warriors say goodbye to one of their great clubmen today with their final round NRL clash with the Canberra Raiders being the last game of lock-forward Micheal Luck's seven year stretch at Mt Smart Stadium.

The curtain falls on a career built on ethics of hard work and giving his all for the team, his presence being invaluable to each Warriors side and the club as a whole since he debuted against the Melbourne Storm in round one of the 2006 season.

Townsville-born and raised, the tough as nails workhorse is described by all who work with and play alongside him as an inspirational and highly respected individual who represents all of the good things about the game of rugby league.

"He's actually been every to this club over the last six years," says Warriors caretaker coach Tony Iro.

"I've never seen a player have so much influence and respect. Everything good we've done he's had his fingerprints all over it.

"He brings everything that a club would want in a player both on and off the field. I can't speak highly enough of him and it's devastating that he's leaving."

In a final season cruelled by wrist and shoulder injuries Luck has battled to get on the field for a handful of appearances hoping to help the Warriors put a halt to their slide down the premiership ladder.

"Any other bloke, with what he's carrying now injury-wise would not be playing but he's still fronting up and doing his best for the club," explains Iro.

"He's about the bravest bloke I've ever met. Every club has one player who does all the nasty stuff, who never shirks a task, who never complains about injuries.

"Every club has a really good one, we've got an outstanding one and he'll be really missed over the next few years."

Reflecting on his career earlier this week, Luck couldn't pinpoint any one game that stood out for him. Last year's grand final appearance was a highlight, but in a way that is typical of

the man he preferred to recall some of the Warriors grittier and more hard-fought victories.

"We'd go through slumps here occasionally and some of those games where we'd lost four or five in a row and then you win momentum back," Luck explains.

"One game we played in Cronulla a few years ago when Michael Witt kicked that goal to win the game after we'd lost five straight, games like that. We played here against Melbourne in pretty dour conditions and had a close win.

"Games like that I look back on with the most pride because they're lessons that although this game can be very hard and unforgiving at times if you work hard enough you come out the other side a better player. "

Luck was also keen to pay tribute to those players that had influenced his career and helped him become the player he is today, and while there were many, he had no hesitation in singling out one.

"I've got to say Paul Bowman at the Cowboys. A guy that was not really flashy but went and played for Queensland a dozen times and was our best and most consistent player because he worked hard, he knew his job and he did it that way every week.

"He's a guy that I'll look back on with the most admiration because as a young guy he probably shaped my attitude in how I went about things.

"You've got guys like Ruben (Wiki), Awen (Guttenbeil), I got to play with Stacey Jones, so I've been lucky and played with some pretty special players."

No second thoughts

Luck insists he never had any second thoughts about putting retirement on hold and is ready and excited to return home to North Queensland where he will begin a work as the Cowboys football operations manager.

"I'm looking forward to playing Sunday but I'm also looking forward to straight after the game I can throw the boots away for the last time."

Equally Luck joked, he was happy to say goodbye to Roosters-bound James Maloney: "Can't wait to see the back of him", and smiled as he recalled some of the funnier personalities he encountered during his time in New Zealand.

"Wade McKinnon, he was probably not as funny as Jimmy but was always up to mischief. Michael Witt was the same, George Gattis as well, hard to say but I've been lucky.

"I've played with some really, really good players and great guys that I'll call lifelong friends."

Like any retiring player, Luck hopes to go out a winner in his last match, but remains content with where he is heading and looking forward to one last Mad Monday session.

"It's what's kept me here so long mate, my favourite day of the year. It's like Christmas."

"When I look back at it I'll be proud of what I've achieved and hopefully everyone that's played with me would say they've enjoyed it and having me in the side."

Warriors: 1. Carlos Tuimavave, 2. Bill Tupou, 3. Ben Henry, 4. Konrad Hurrell, 5. Manu Vatuvei, 6. Feleti Mateo, 7. Pita Godinet, 8. Jacob Lillyman, 9. Alehana Mara, 10. Ben Matulino, 11. Elijah Taylor, 12. Simon Mannering, 13. Micheal Luck. Interchange: 14. Russell Packer, 15. Sione Lousi, 16. Ukuma Ta'ai, 17. Lewis Brown, 18. James Maloney, 20. Sam Lousi, 23. Sebastine Ikahihifo (three to be omitted).

Raiders: 1. Josh Dugan, 2. Sandor Earl, 3. Jarrod Croker, 4. Blake Ferguson, 5. Reece Robinson, 6. Josh McCrone, 7. Sam Williams, 8. David Shillington, 9. Glen Buttriss, 10. Dane Tilse, 11. Josh Papalii, 12. Joel Thompson, 13. Shaun Fensom. Interchange: 14. Shaun Berrigan, 15. Joe Picker, 16. Mark Nicholls, 17. Tom Learoyd-Lahrs, 18. Jarrad Kennedy (one to be omitted).

Source: http://tvnz.co.nz/rugby-league-news/real-warrior-luck-signs-off-no-regrets-5056886