Topic: Raiders seek payback for record loss

Archie

• Love My Mighty Raiders! RNA Website Developer
  • Administrator
  • Jason Croker
Raiders seek payback for record loss
« on: April 14, 2014, 05:38:53 PM »
Every NRL player remembers his 100th outing, and few more so than Canberra utility Josh McCrone.

"I set a record for my 100th game, the biggest loss for the Raiders," McCrone said, wryly.

The 68-4 drubbing at the hands of the Melbourne Storm in round 21 last year was made more humiliating by the fact it was in front of 10,826 fans at Canberra Stadium.

But they'll have an opportunity for revenge this Sunday when the two sides meet again at the same venue.

Just how big an impact that loss had on the Raiders' psyche is impossible to measure, yet statistics help outline a rough picture.

The Raiders had won 12 straight matches at home until that drubbing, but now haven't won a game at Canberra Stadium in six consecutive outings.

It would also spell the beginning of the end for the club's promising 2013 season, going on to lose their final five remaining games, as well as coach David Furner.

"Embarrassing," hooker Glen Buttriss said in summing up the loss.

"We haven't really talked about it at this stage. But as the game gets a bit closer I think we'll be trying to get one back on the Melbourne Storm."

However, vice-captain Brett White played down the significance of last year's record defeat, saying the 2014 outfit was a completely new team under new coach Ricky Stuart.

"Anything that happened last year doesn't affect this year. We're heading in a different direction," White said.

More: http://wwos.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=8830158