Topic: Milford could play for Samoa, QLD and Australia in the space of a few months

GB7600

• Administrator
  • Jason Croker

A SERIOUS flaw in the NRL’s new representative eligibility laws means Anthony Milford could play for Samoa, Queensland and Australia in the space of a few months.

The Four Nations could face the embarrassment of Milford helping Samoa to qualify for the tournament, then switching to represent Australia against his former teammates.

The Courier-Mail can reveal Milford advised Samoan officials on Monday of his desire to take on Fiji on May 3 for the final Four Nations berth.

Under the code’s revamped eligibility rules, Milford would be allowed to renounce his Samoan ties after the Fiji clash and be available for Queensland 25 days later in Origin I.

That would enable Milford to be considered for Australia, who will play the winner of Samoa or Fiji in a Four Nations clash in Wollongong on November 9.

Australian coach Tim Sheens last week revealed Milford was a contender for his squad despite the Canberra ace being a Samoan World Cup representative.

In only six months, Milford could go from Samoan star to Maroons rookie to Kangaroos debutant plotting against the Pacific nation he helped to the Four Nations.

Samoa coach Matt Parish said last night it would be a blow to lose Milford, but admitted the second-tier nation was powerless under the eligibility rules.

“It would be sad if Anthony gets us to the Four Nations and then turns out for Australia against Samoa in the tournament,” Parish said.

“I’m fully aware of that situation, but that’s the rules as they stand.

“I’ve spoken to Anthony and he says he’s definitely committed to playing for Samoa against Fiji.

“I also can’t begrudge a kid wanting to one day wear an Origin or green-and-gold jumper.

“But if Tim Sheens or Mal Meninga (Queensland coach) are saying they could pick Anthony, they need to actually do it rather than talk about doing it.’’

Andrew Hill, the NRL’s game development chief, yesterday confirmed Milford was allowed to represent Samoa, then switch allegiance to Queensland and Australia.

Players from second-tier nations such as Samoa, Fiji and PNG are allowed one change between World Cup cycles.

“Under the current RLIF eligibility rules a player is entitled to change his country of election once every two years or after the World Cup, whichever is the earlier,” Hill said.

Parish questioned whether Sheens and Meninga were giving Milford false hope.

“It’s all right for Tim Sheens to say he’s looking at Anthony Milford but what about Daly Cherry-Evans? Billy Slater and Greg Inglis are fullback options and Cherry-Evans is the utility so where do you fit Anthony in?’’ he said.

“Tony was one of our best players at the World Cup. I’d be disappointed if he wasn’t going to pull on the blue jumper again.’’

Source: http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/nrl/anthony-milford-could-play-for-samoa-qld-and-australia-in-the-space-of-a-few-months/story-fni3fbgt-1226885647981

GB7600

• Administrator
  • Jason Croker
We need to support these emerging nations by allowing players to play for them whilst still being eligible for Origin. We want to grow the game after all, don't we?