Topic: Furner plotting Raiders downfall

Archie

• Love My Mighty Raiders! RNA Website Developer
  • Administrator
  • Jason Croker
Furner plotting Raiders downfall
« on: March 08, 2014, 12:30:14 PM »
New Cowboys assistant coach David Furner is plotting his old club’s downfall

New Cowboys assistant coach David Furner looks on during a training session.

DAVID Furner says he has put his ordeal at Canberra behind him as the new Cowboys assistant coach tonight prepares to plot the downfall of the Raiders club that sacked him.

While Cowboys coach Paul Green launches his NRL coaching career in Townsville, his right-hand man Furner is also embarking on a fresh chapter after his painful parting with the Green Machine.

It has been almost six months since Furner became the first coach to be sacked in Canberra’s 32-year history, but the Raiders legend has found contentment in the tropics.

His relaxed demeanour is understandable.

For a start, Green, as head coach, is the one saddled with expectation.

And no longer is Furner butting heads with troubled types such as Josh Dugan and Blake Ferguson, instead impressing North Queensland players with his approachable manner and tactical acuity.

The Cowboys claimed the Nines trophy last month after watching footage presented by Furner and Green is sure to benefit tonight from his cohort’s inside knowledge of the Raiders.

“I have been given a really good opportunity with Greeny and the Cowboys, they are a really good squad,” Furner said.

“I spoke about that (his sacking by the Raiders) at the time and the Canberra stuff for me is now gone. I’m just pleased I’m a part of the Cowboys and I’m pleased I’m still working in coaching.

“My role as an assistant is just that. Greeny runs the show but myself and Terry Matterson offer some experience.

“My main thing is helping the boys here ... I don’t have to worry about media anymore.”

Critically, Furner is far from bitter. Also an assistant to Australia coach Tim Sheens, he was sitting on the Kangaroos team bus next to Canberra hitman Josh Papalii when the 2014 NRL draw was released late last year.

The pair glanced at the round-one schedule, then simply exchanged wry grins.

Champion Broncos pivot Darren Lockyer worked with Furner during his tenure as Test skipper and believes the former NSW back-rower will bring a winning culture to the Cowboys.

“I was impressed by Dave, he studies the game well,” Lockyer said.

“While he played in the forwards, he is quite a smart thinker about the game. That’s what you want in an assistant, someone who has that tactical nous.

“I didn’t see him closely at Canberra but he does a lot of smart work behind the scenes and is a real strategic thinker.

“The Cowboys are in a good hands with Dave on board.”

Furner says the key to the Cowboys succeeding this season is navigating the gruelling representative period.

“I don’t think we need to worry too much about premierships,” he said.

“The club has gone close before, I know that, but we need to start the season well, get through the Origin period, make the semis and then you give yourself the opportunity to contest for a grand final.

“You can’t start thinking about titles in February or March. As a player, you have to get through the rep period and have some luck with injuries.

“Right now, we need consistency before we worry about anything else.”

Source: http://www.foxsports.com.au/league/nrl-premiership/new-cowboys-assistant-coach-david-furner-is-plotting-his-old-clubs-downfall/story-e6frf3rc-1226848390040