Topic: Warriors wont take Raiders lightly

Archie

• Love My Mighty Raiders! RNA Website Developer
  • Administrator
  • Jason Croker
Warriors wont take Raiders lightly
« on: August 30, 2013, 11:55:41 PM »
Warriors' Lillyman wary of wounded Raiders

On the surface of it, tomorrow night's clash against the Raiders is one the Warriors should delight in having lined up.

Needing to win their last two regular season games to claim a spot in the NRL playoffs, they face a team who have just dumped their coach, and have cut links with one of their most talented but troubled players in Blake Ferguson.

Both teams sit on 24 points - the same as the eight-placed Cowboys - but the Warriors have a better points differential, -84 compared to the Raiders' -136.

Despite all that's gone on in Canberra, the Warriors aren't taking the Raiders lightly.

"When there is a bit of controversy going on, teams seem to band together and stand up," Warriors prop Jacob Lillyman said.

"We know we're in for a very tough game on Saturday. They're in the exact same boat as us. A spot in the playoffs is certainly a lot to play for both teams."

Warriors assistant coach Andrew McFadden backed up the burly prop's comments. McFadden was the Raiders' assistant coach between 2010 and 2012 under the now-axed David Furner, and knows his former charges will come out big at Mt Smart Stadium.

"With all the adversity they've had to endure, the fact they can come to New Zealand and get away from it all is probably a big relief for them," he said.

"Hopefully, it won't add to their performance but it usually does. We're expecting a really tough battle this week."

A Raiders side without Ferguson, who played one game for New South Wales in this year's Origin series, does make things slightly easier, Lillyman admitted, before adding that the likes of Reece Robinson and former Warrior Bill Tupou will still be dangerous players to watch tomorrow night.

"The form he has been in, and the player he has become, it's definitely a big advantage for us that he isn't playing," he said.

"Canberra are an under-rated team, though. They've got a lot of strike power. One less player we have to worry about, though."

Lillyman has had a steady season for the Warriors in 2013.

The Queenslander is signed through to the end of next season at the club, and has expressed an interest in sealing another deal to stay at the Warriors.

"I've been reasonably happy with my performance [this year]," he said.

"Mid-rounds, I hit my straps and played some decent footy, but have probably dropped off a little in the last month or so. We've still got a couple of games to go, so hopefully I can finish off on a high."

Source: http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/league/9103762/Warriors-Lillyman-wary-of-wounded-Raiders