Topic: White promoted to Raiders' run-on side

RNA

• Administrator
  • Jason Croker
White promoted to Raiders' run-on side
« on: May 05, 2011, 09:13:11 AM »
White promoted to Raiders' run-on side

Canberra Raiders prop Brett White is keen to fill the void left by injured Kangaroos bookend David Shillington.

With Shillington sidelined for six weeks with a torn pectoral muscle, White has been elevated into Canberra's starting side for Monday night's encounter with the Manly Sea Eagles.

It's the 29-year-old's first run-on appearance for the Raiders after playing his opening seven games as an interchange forward.

The former Australian, NSW and Melbourne Storm enforcer can't wait to run out on to Brookvale Oval for the always fiery opening exchanges.

''It's been a bit of a different role for me coming off the bench, trying to get used to that,'' White said.

''Being in Melbourne I was always a starting front-rower.

''I'm looking forward to being out there in the thick of it, the start of it.''

Shillington was named in the Australian team to face New Zealand tomorrow night, but was forced to withdraw due to a torn pectoral muscle suffered in last weekend's 49-12 loss to the Wests Tigers.

''It's disappointing for us, because he's one of the top front-rowers going around,'' White said.

''He's a big part of our team.

''We've just got to make sure we pull our weight and fill that void that he'll leave.''

Second-rower Danny Galea is also itching at the chance to make an impression after being summoned for just his second top-grade game of the season.

The former Panthers and Wests Tigers utility has 110 NRL appearances under his belt, but has spent the majority of the year with Canberra's Queensland Cup feeder club Souths Logan.

Consistent performances over the past month have earned Galea his first game since the round-five loss to Penrith.

''I'm pretty excited, really want to get out there and do the job for the team,'' Galea said.

'' played a bit of Q Cup and put a couple good performances together so was quite happy to get the call up.

''I think I'm ready for it, so I just really want to help the team out and do my best.''

Back-rower Joe Picker has missed the past two weeks with an ankle injury.

He is expected back for the round 10 clash with the Melbourne Storm.

The Raiders were woeful in defence against the Tigers, a problem White said needed to be rectified if they're any hope of ending their seven-match losing streak.

''We spoke about two things, the defence and the discipline,'' White said.

''The problem comes from blokes trying too hard.

''Coming out of the line and trying to solve that on their own.

''Blokes doing what they think is best at the time but it's not always best for the side.

''We've got to make sure we're working together.''

Source: The Canberra Times