Topic: Canberra Raiders top ten players

RNA

• Administrator
  • Jason Croker
Canberra Raiders top ten players
« on: May 21, 2017, 02:23:15 AM »
Joining the competition in 1982, the Raiders were the second team since the Newcastle Rebels in 1909 to be a team outside of Sydney to join the NSWRL.

The club would quickly find success, appearing in the 1987 grand final in only their sixth season.

They would go down to Manly but two years later again be in the grand final against the Balmain Tigers in what still to this day is the best grand final ever.

From there the club would be in three more grand finals – 1990, 91 and 94. While they have not tasted success since, they have had a great number of excellent players in their time.

Premiership winners, Clive Churchill Medalists, Dally M Winners, Origin heroes, this list pretty much has it all. Noting my one club per man rule, don’t forget Glenn Lazarus will not feature on the list.

10. John Chicka Ferguson

I have a dear friend of mine who was a mad Canberra supporter who just passed away last year and I know that he would haunt me if I did not place his favourite player on the list. Chicka started his career with the Raiders in 1986 after returning from England.

In 1988 he would become the highest try scorer of the season in 1988 and scored the try in the 1989 grand final that would put the game into overtime.

He would again feature in the 1990 grand final and be the oldest player in the league at 36.

This is an age record that still stands to this day. A fan favourite and one of the fastest men in the league, he would play 94 games for the club and score 50 tries. Chicka would play eight times for NSW and have three Tests for Australia.

9.Brett Mullins

Mullins was the successor to the great Gary Belcher at fullback following his retirement in 1993. Mullins would miss out on the 1991 grand final but would play in the 1994 decider against the Bulldogs.

Over his 183 games for the club he would be the second highest try scorer with 105 and win the fullback of the year in the 1994 season. Mullins would play five games each for Australia and NSW.

8. Jason Croker

Croker was named the Canberra Raiders’ rookie of the year in 1991 and he went on to play somewhat of a utility position over his long career, filling into many spots throughout his team. His 120 tries for Canberra is a club record and in 2000 he was named the Raiders’ player of the year.

Although he played so many years for the club he would never feature in any of the club’s grand finals. In 2006 he would be the first man from the club to join the 300 club and retire a team favourite.

7. David Furner

Debuting in 1992, Furner would play 200 games for the club.

Furner would win the Clive Churchill Medal for his performance in the 1994 grand final scoring one try and kicking 4/7 goals. Unusual for this feat to be achieved by a second rower but Furner prove that forwards can also kick a goal. Furner would represent Australia once and NSW eight times.

6. Gary Belcher

In his rookie year of 1986, Belcher was awarded the player of the year. He would again achieve this feat the following year in 1987 and convert the Raiders’ only try in the 1987 grand final.

More: http://feeds.theroar.com.au/~r/theroar/rugby-league/~3/KlpGJIvdiSY/