Topic: Furner Blasts Officials After Manly Loss

Archie

• Love My Mighty Raiders! RNA Website Developer
  • Administrator
  • Jason Croker
Furner Blasts Officials After Manly Loss
« on: May 06, 2012, 07:07:47 PM »
Furner blasts officials after Manly loss

Upset Canberra coach David Furner accused match officials of blocking his side's path to a shock win over Manly at Brookvale Oval on Sunday, declaring a Raiders victory wasn't meant to be.

In comments that could see him fined for questioning the officials' integrity, Furner was outraged over the 8-3 penalty count against his side as well as a number of crucial decisions that set the visitors on their heels and contributed to the 18-12 loss.

One call 12 minutes from time stood out, with Manly winger Jorge Taufua getting away with a knock on 15m out from his line as his side desperately held onto a four-point lead.

That and a number of other decisions - along with the heavy penalty count - prompted Furner to vent his spleen.

"I think everyone who watched the game...it was pretty obvious what turned it around and what put us in a situation to lose the game," he said.

"I don't think anyone expected us to come here and win - and maybe not them (match officials).

"We had belief we could win that game and let's just say maybe other people didn't.

"I can't comprehend the 8-3 penalty count. It hurts us.

"We're not nearly a three times worse side in discipline than Manly."

Asked if he would take his complaints to referees' boss Bill Harrigan, Furner continued: "I need to. I want some answers.

"It's a tough place to win and certainly some of the decisions didn't help us."

Captain David Shillington added: "It was definitely frustrating. There were a couple of controversial decisions but we've got to show character and get past that."

Manly coach Geoff Toovey conceded the majority of 50-50 calls went against Canberra but didn't agree the match officials decided the outcome.

"I think they did (have a few things go against them) but you make things happen for yourself as well," Toovey said.

"I suppose Canberra could feel a little bit unlucky that they didn't come up with the points but we've all been in that situation where things haven't gone your way.

"It could have gone either way but we got away with a win."

The Raiders were caught short of the line on several occasions when it looked they would score, adding to Furner's frustration.

But the Sea Eagles deserve credit for hanging in there during tough periods of the match and scrambling well in defence to deny the desperate Raiders.

Toovey singled out hooker Matt Ballin and fullback Brett Stewart for mention after the pair produced tremendous defensive efforts to deny Canberra tries.

Source: Sportal