Topic: CRRL: Dumas Swayed By Roos Culture

RNA

• Administrator
  • Jason Croker
CRRL: Dumas Swayed By Roos Culture
« on: August 30, 2017, 12:32:58 PM »
Dumas Swayed By Roos Culture

When Luke Dumas found out his wife had to move down to Canberra for work, there was only one club the versatile back wanted to play for.

“When I first came down, I’d heard a lot of stories about what sort of club to go to,” Dumas said. “All the guys said that with the Roos, the culture was quite good there.

“I had a lot of family tell me to go to the Roos and I had a cousin that was here as well.”

Helping Dumas pick his club was the fact he recognised a few familiar faces through his time plying his trade in the Queensland Cup for Tweed Heads.

“I knew Josh Essex,” Dumas said. “I also knew Brent Crisp, I’d played against him a few times. I knew playing with him that it’s always going to be a good year with him, with his kicking game especially.”

However, Dumas wasn’t sure as to whether or not the Kangaroos would be playing with their star playmaker in the grand final this Sunday against the Queanbeyan Blues.

“I’m not sure what’s going on, I think it’s a bit of a secret,” Dumas said. “I don’t think he’ll miss it but we’ll see how it goes.”

With Crisp having played at fullback at various times throughout the season, Dumas isn’t too worried if he needs to play at fullback or center this weekend.

“I’ve adapted to most positions,” Dumas said. “I think the only sort of tough thing is the fitness required going from center to fullback.”

Regardless of whether Crisp plays or not, Dumas knows his side are in for a tough match against the Blues in this Sunday’s grand final.

“It’s about those first 20 minutes,” Dumas said. “If we don’t come out firing, they’re going to give it to us like they did in that first time we played them this year. We came out quite slow and the Blues put 30 points on us straight away.

“We’ve got to come out firing and be on our game pretty much straight away.”

Although the Blues won the two matches between the two sides during the regular season, the Kangaroos blitzed their crosstown rivals with a 48-24 victory a fortnight ago.

Despite the heavy win in the last outing, Dumas knows that the Kangaroos are in for a tough match as they chase the club’s sixth premiership.

“It’s going to be a close game that’s for sure,” Dumas said. “The way the Blues played against Yass (in the preliminary final), I think they’ll take that advantage and bring it into the final.”

More: http://websites.sportstg.com/assoc_page.cgi?client=7-1084-0-0-0&sID=13485&&news_task=DETAIL&articleID=59114353