Topic: Gallop sad to see Monaghan go

RNA

• Administrator
  • Jason Croker
Gallop sad to see Monaghan go
« on: November 09, 2010, 09:21:21 PM »
Gallop sad to see Monaghan go
9 November 2010, 8:56 pm

NRL chief executive David Gallop says Joel Monaghan's fall from grace is a sad affair for all concerned after the shamed star quit the Canberra Raiders on Tuesday.

Monaghan recognised he was unable to escape a scandal involving a photo of him in a lewd pose with a dog and fell on his sword before being sacked and deregistered.

Monaghan broke down at a press conference in Canberra after explaining his decision to quit over a photo "prank which has caused so much pain".

Raiders boss Don Furner left the door open to Monaghan - who will now seek a job in the English Super League - to return to Canberra, but Gallop said it was too early to speculate on that.

The NRL supremo acknowledged Monaghan had paid dearly for a "moment of madness" and a prank of "abject stupidity" but said it served as a warning for all players.

"Joel has today paid a heavy price in standing down from the Raiders," he said.

"I think people are entitled to acknowledge both his contrition and the way he has handled things over the last couple of days.

"It is a poignant reminder though that people need to think before they act, even when it is seemingly done in jest."

A tearful Monaghan told the press conference that he was leaving for the sake of the team.

"I'll have to handle the jokes and taunts, which is understandable, but the players shouldn't have to put up with the pressure that my ongoing presence will bring," he said.

"I've received a huge amount of support from all the players and loved ones, but the reality is that a prank isn't going to be forgot anytime soon.

"I've phoned all major sponsors of the club today and apologised for my actions.

"They were my actions and I'm solely responsible for the prank which has caused so much pain. Alcohol is no excuse.

"I'd like to thank my team-mates, coaching staff and loyal fans."

After trying a few times to continue his statement - once saying "this is torture" - Monaghan broke down in tears and retreated indoors.

Raiders chief executive Don Furner stepped forward to front the media.

"Joel is welcome back at this club and I hope he does come back one day," Furner said.

"I hope he is welcome back in Canberra because he has done a lot of good in this city.

"He's had to pay a very high price for a silly party prank at a private house."

Source: Tag: Rugby League - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)