Topic: Origin squad call thrills Shillington and new-boy Vidot

RNA

• Administrator
  • Jason Croker
Origin squad call thrills Shillington and new-boy Vidot
« on: April 29, 2011, 10:56:57 AM »
Origin squad call thrills Shillington and new-boy Vidot

LOOKING TO IMPRESS: Raiders prop David Shillington trains yesterday in Canberra. He has been picked in the Queensland Origin squad despite the Raiders poor start to the NRL season. Photo: GRAHAM TIDY

Canberra Raiders winger Daniel Vidot is in the hunt for his maiden representative jersey after catching the eye of Queensland selectors.

Vidot and Raiders teammate David Shillington were yesterday included in the Maroons' 25-man squad for next month's series opener in Brisbane.

Vidot faces stiff competition to break into the all-conquering Queensland team, with Justin Hodges, Greg Inglis, Willie Tonga and Darius Boyd all retained in the star-studded back line.

Brisbane Broncos young gun Jharal Yow Yeh has also been given the nod.

Vidot is the first to admit his form hasn't been great for a Raiders side currently languishing at the bottom of the ladder.

The 21-year-old's selection is clearly aimed at the future, as the Maroons look to regenerate their ranks with youth in coming years.

''I'm a bit shocked,'' Vidot said last night.

''There's lots of experienced names in there.

''It's just an honour to be picked in the team.

''This year I don't think I've been playing my best.

''I think that's yet to come and hopefully I can change it around.''

A graduate of Canberra's premiership-winning Toyota Cup team of 2008, the Souths Acacia Ridge product made his NRL debut the following year.

He has crossed for 26 tries in 39 top-grade appearances.

Vidot was in line to represent Samoa at the end of last year, but declined the invitation when informed it would make him ineligible for the Maroons.

Shillington is hopeful of retaining his spot in a powerful front row.

Ageless veteran Petero Civoniceva, Cowboys enforcer Matt Scott and Bulldogs prop Ben Hannant are among the other contenders pushing for a jersey.

Shillington's first task is holding his place in the Kangaroos line-up for next Friday's Test match with New Zealand.

In a piece of timely scheduling, his final opportunity to put his hand up comes in front of the national coach in Sunday's encounter with the Wests Tigers at Canberra Stadium.

''It gives us one last chance to impress [Tigers and Australian coach] Tim Sheens and the selectors,'' Shillington said.

''You read all sort of things, there's all these other props who are going to take your spot.

''All I can do is make sure I prepare well this week and play well. I'd love the chance to play again.

''If I don't I'll have to keep working harder and get in next time.''

The Tigers are under the pump, with reports Sheens is considering a lucrative $2 million, four-year offer to return to coach the Penrith Panthers.

Sheens showed the first signs of cracking under the scrutiny when he cancelled a scheduled media appearance yesterday.

With the Raiders desperate to break their six-game losing streak, Shillington was keen to make the most of any advantage the side could get.

''Definitely hope they're unsettled this week, that'd be great,'' Shillington said.

''It'll be interesting to see how their team prepares this week.

''Hopefully for them they don't get rattled too much, but hopefully for us they do.''

Source: The Canberra Times