Topic: Goulburn Coach Labels Shoulder Charge Ban a ‘Knee Jerk Reaction’

Chase94

• RNA Website Developer
  • Administrator
  • Jason Croker
The cold shoulder

GOULBURN Workers Bulldogs coach James Aubusson has labelled the ARL’s shoulder charge ban a ‘knee jerk reaction’.

Teammate Mick Dodson agrees.

The pair has joined a chorus of players past and present in criticising the ARL for its decision to outlaw the shoulder charge from the game come 2013.

Canberra Raiders Cup chief Karen Ebsworth said it was likely that ban would flow-on to country rugby league competitions.

It’s probable spectators have witnessed their last shoulder charge, for the time being at least.

“My impression was that it will go through all levels of the game,” Ebsworth said.

“There are some rules that apply to only the NRL. I don’t think that’s the case here.”

Aubusson, who’ll sit out next season with a neck injury and bulging disc in his lower back, said the ARL had bigger concerns than the shoulder charge.

“I think it’s a bit of a knee jerk reaction to be honest,” he said.

“There are other areas of the game that need attention. I copped a couple a couple of big shoulder charges, especially as a smaller player, but it’s nothing untoward. That’s footy.”

Mick Dodson admits he could never quite master the art of the shoulder charge. Even so the two-time Les McIntyre Medallist says its omission is a blow to the game.

“They’re making a mountain out of a molehill,” he said.

“They [shoulder charges] aren’t even that effective a tackle, let alone too dangerous.”

The ARL Commission’s decision has been welcomed in parts. St George Illawarra centre Matt Cooper bucked most players’ opinions by supporting the change.

Cooper, a veteran of 13 Origins, watched in horror as teammate and friend Dean Young was carried from the field after a Greg Inglis shoulder charge in July.

“If you saw that tackle, you wouldn’t call that exciting,” he said.

“It was pretty sickening.

“If you’re a fan, if that was your son or that was your brother, you don’t want that to happen to the player.

“A good mate of mine Josh Miller had to retire this year because of too many head knocks.

Source: http://www.goulburnpost.com.au/story/1150702/the-cold-shoulder/?cs=182