Topic: Papalii playing his way into Kiwis team (NZ Newswire)

RNA

• Administrator
  • Jason Croker
Papalii playing his way into Kiwis team (NZ Newswire)
« on: September 14, 2012, 10:31:29 AM »
Young enforcer Josh Papalii will be playing for his first Kiwis Test jumper as he fronts for the Canberra Raiders in the NRL semi-final against the Rabbitohs on Saturday.

The 20-year-old second rower rattled Australian representative and New South Wales Paul Gallen when the Raiders beat Cronulla 34-16 last week.

Now New Zealand team manager Tony Kemp is tipping Papalii to make his international debut in next month's Test against the Kangaroos in Townsville.

"He only just missed out on the Anzac Test, but at the moment the way he's playing he's right at the front of the pack," Kemp told The Canberra Times.

"Selectors have him in their reckoning at the moment and as long as they continue their form - and I think Canberra is a real good chance of winning this weekend - you'll probably see Josh running around in Townsville."

Papalii is already drawing comparisons with Canberra and New Zealand great Ruben Wiki.

"The first time I saw Josh play, he was so similar to Ruben - the lines he ran and even the way he looked, it was exactly the same," Kemp said.

"He and Ruben have really hit it off, they stay in regular touch and Ruben sends regular text messages to him before games wishing him luck. He's a Ruben Wiki clone, but Josh will make his own name, he's going to write his own story."

Papalii's bond with Wiki is seen as a major factor in him committing to the Kiwis and rejecting overtures from Queensland state of origin coach Mal Meninga, despite playing most of his junior football in Brisbane.

Kiwis coach Stephen Kearney was also impressed with the way Papalii stood up to one of Australia's best forwards last week.

"He didn't back down which as a young kid in his position [is impressive] when you've got the NSW captain constantly snarling at you," Kearney said.

"We've got a fair few [second-rowers] there, but Josh is young and has a really bright future ahead of him in a Kiwi jumper, and he's well in calculations I can guarantee you that."

Source: http://au.rd.yahoo.com/sport/rss/rugbyleague/*http%3A//au.sports.yahoo.com/league/news/article/-/14852043/papalii-playing-his-way-into-kiwis-team/