Topic: Woden Rams: We speak to a Rams Legend! Name: Darrel Mcdonald Age: 45 Years played for the...

RNA

• Administrator
  • Jason Croker
We speak to a Rams Legend!

Name: Darrel Mcdonald

Years played for the Rams:  Juniors 1973 to 1986 and seniors in 1987 and 1988 and then again from 94 to 97 and some cameo appearances after I retired in 1998.

Years involved with the Rams: As Player and Official since 1973 minus the 5 seasons I had at the Raiders from 89 to 93.

Positions held at the Rams: Juniors- Player, Coach, Coaching Coordinator, President, Secretary, Treasurer.

Seniors- First Grade Coach and Assistant Coach for lower grades. This year I will take on the Registrars role for the seniors.

Best Rugby League achievements: Playing 2 seasons in the top Grade with the Canberra Raiders and also playing in Grand Finals with the lower grade Raiders at the SFS. Also the Rams First Grade Premierships in 88 and 96. Really enjoyed Touring with ACT Super League side in 1997.

Most memorable moments with the Rams: Being lucky enough to come off the Bench in the 88 Grand Final victorious Premiership side and then to play in the 96 side as well. 88 we were the favourites but in 96 we were real underdogs and had a mixture of old heads and some great kids coming through the club.

Funniest team mate: Gary (Fritz) McDonnel. Just looking at Gary sometimes would make you laugh.

Toughest team mate: Jim Kelly  

Best player played with at Rams: Brendon Norton (Norto) picked up the Les McIntyre Award and also Best Player Grand Final Day 1996 Grand Final.

Why the Rams are the best Club to be involved with: We have always been known as a group of blokes who just want to play together. This goes back to the days when no one got paid for playing and all players who played any game were given 6 Beer tickets for a beer after the match. We have struggled for a long time but not only keep surviving but the opposition know there is never an easy game against the Rams – especially at the Graveyard at Phillip.

Where do you see the Rams in the future: If we can nurture the strength of the juniors coming through I can see another First Grade Premiership within the next 5 years. Our Premierships in 1988 and 1996 both included a stack of juniors and the juniors we have coming through now are just as good or if not better than of that era.

We thank Darrel for all of his efforts over the years for the Rams. He is a true Rams legend!

Darrel will be at our last training session of 2014 this afternoon and at our Christmas party this Saturday at Dickson Pool 1-4pm.

The Rams welcome all players, new and returning, to attend the Rams last training session for the 2014.

Details are:

- Location: North Curtin Oval (Furthest Oval from dressing sheds)

- Time: 6-7:30pm

More: http://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=10152417289661612&id=139005831611