Topic: Orford out: Furner sticks with winning team

RNA

• Administrator
  • Jason Croker
Orford out: Furner sticks with winning team
« on: May 17, 2011, 10:20:58 AM »
Orford out: Furner sticks with winning team

Injured Canberra halfback Matt Orford is unlikely to return for the Raiders' home clash against the Bulldogs on Friday with coach David Furner reluctant to change a winning team.

Orford was a late withdrawal from the Storm match, and is likely to again miss this week as he recovers from a groin injury.

His replacement Sam Williams and five-eighth Josh McCrone combined well in Melbourne, with the Raiders' attack finally showing signs of fluency to end an eight-game losing streak. McCrone has been one of Canberra's most consistent players, while Toyota Cup star Williams has displayed poise beyond his years at NRL level.

''I don't want to change too many positions,'' Furner said. ''The right side looked the best it has this year, the left side the same, and I don't want to change too much.

''What we wanted to see [against Melbourne] was the team's attitude and the things we worked on, and I think they gave us that.''

Williams has played in the four matches Orford has missed, the Raiders winning two.

Orford is yet to taste victory in a lime green jumper in six outings.

Furner will soon have a tough decision to make, with five-eighth Terry Campese on track to return from knee surgery against the Cowboys in a fortnight. Campese told The Canberra Times yesterday his rehabilitation had progressed smoothly and was confident of being available for the round 13 match.

Furner will have the bye next week to assess his options before the North Queensland clash.

He refused to speculate on what his halves combination will be when Campese returns.

''With Campo it's a good dilemma to have,'' Furner said.

''All I'm thinking about is this Friday, and I'll assess that situation after that.''

Furner also hinted that young forwards Sam Mataora and Josh Papalii were likely to retain their spots.

The duo's enthusiasm proved infectious and provided the Raiders with sorely-needed spark against the Storm.

''We do have a side coming off a win and they didn't do their chances any harm,'' Furner said.

''I thought they were very strong in their carries and did a lot of work.''

After a solid debut at Manly two weeks ago, Nathan Massey is expected to replace NSW debutante Josh Dugan at fullback.

Tom Learoyd-Lahrs has been ruled due to the fractured eye socket suffered in the City-Country clash. Learoyd-Lahrs yesterday revealed Blues coach Ricky Stuart had phoned him to explain the reasoning behind his Origin omission.

''He rang me last night [Sunday] and basically said I have to get some consistency back, and if I play some good football I'm a chance for later in the series,'' Learoyd-Lahrs said.

''My last four weeks at club level haven't been my best, I know that, but I felt a lot better after the City-Country game.

''If I'd been picked the doctors may have had to make a decision either way on me.''

Learoyd-Lahrs' unavailability is a huge blow, given fellow prop David Shillington is also sidelined with a pectoral injury.

NRL Round 11:

Raiders v Bulldogs, Friday, Canberra Stadium, 7.30pm

Source: The Canberra Times