Topic: Raiders find attitude

RNA

• Administrator
  • Jason Croker
Raiders find attitude
« on: May 21, 2011, 11:17:10 AM »
Raiders find attitude

Despite a horror start to the season, Canberra Raiders captain Alan Tongue still believes his side can beat any side on their day - if they bring the right attitude.

The Raiders have picked themselves up from an eight-game losing streak to beat finals aspirants the Storm and Bulldogs in consecutive weeks, and Tongue said they have now shown each other what they are capable of.

"The effort that we've put in the last few weeks is what we needed," Tonuge said.

"We talked about that after the Melbourne game that we'd set ourselves a standard there and we needed to back it up."

"The good teams do that, and they do what week in and week out and we needed to show that as a group first.

"There's so much that we can take out of it, but reality is we've lost a fair few footy games and we've still in a tough position."

He said despite their unenviable position of three wins eleven rounds into the season, they still maintained belief in their ability.

"We know that if we play the footy that we know we can play, and that we're coached to play, that we can do that," he said.

"Footy this year, if you look across the board I think the mentality you take in to the games is more important than sometimes the personnel and the skill level and different things like that.

"As long as we turn up with that attitude and that effort week then I'll be confident against any team."

Coach David Furner also put the win down to his team's mental approach.

"I think the game was definitely won on our defence and attitude," Furner said.

"I think the team has shown to me during the week and in those tough periods there that they've been trying hard."

"We've had short turn-arounds, we've had two very good wins."

"We've got to do that to fight our way back into this competition."

Source: Sportal.com.au