Topic: Vidot opens up about Raiders dominance over Dragons

RNA

• Administrator
  • Jason Croker
Vidot opens up about Raiders dominance over Dragons
« on: July 24, 2013, 05:26:37 PM »
Dragons primed to reverse Raiders hoodoo

DANIEL Vidot has experienced both sides of the NRL's most remarkable and inexplicable streak.

"It's a bit of a big thing for the Raiders," the ex-Canberra, now St George Illawarra, back said.

"We always had a video, a pump-up video before the Dragons. I don't know why. But it's the only team we had a pump-up video for. They love it. They prepare for it.

"They think it's like Origin to them so hopefully we come out and get them. Seriously can't explain it. It's a weird thing, a really weird thing. But I think their time is up and it's our time to shine."

Heading into Saturday night's game at WIN Stadium, St George Illawarra has gone eight games without a win over Canberra. Dig a little deeper and you find the Dragons have lost 14 of their past 15 games against the Raiders.

Even in their premiership years, the Dragons couldn't find a way to beat the green machine. Last year, in the lead-up to the game against the Raiders, St George Illawarra coach Steve Price banned all talk of a hoodoo.

But after victory over league leader South Sydney on Monday night, St George Illawarra will go into Saturday night's game flushed with confidence.

"I think if you have a look at the way we have been beaten the last couple of times in Canberra we have been in control in a few games, and we have lost in the last five minutes," half Nathan Fien said.

"I think there was a last-play (win) a few years ago. It's just comical. But it's one of those things in sport. You can't explain it. They always lift for us.

"It turned their season around a few years ago. They went on a mad run after beating us. It's going to be good to get back to WIN Stadium. It's been a tough time at the Dragons, but we have all stuck strong."

After victory over the Rabbitohs, Vidot added: "We definitely needed a win like this. Confidence was something that was lacking. A win out there against a top side is going to boost our confidence for next week.

"It's good that we're back in Wollongong. Hopefully we just come out all guns blazing and blow them off the park.

"There's a few Canberra players here. They know what it's about."

Among those former players in the Dragons side is fullback Josh Dugan. A few years back, while playing with the Raiders, he broke St George Illawarra hearts with a last-minute try which kept the streak going.

Now he shapes as one of the major reasons St George Illawarra players believe they can end their run of outs.

"Duges played well (against Souths)," Vidot said.

"It will be a big game for Duges and all the boys. It's good that we're in Wollongong. It's not a long drive, so I think they will make the trip.

"I think it's time for us to start a little roll and get a few wins."

Source: http://www.theaustralian.com.au/sport/nrl/dragons-primed-to-reverse-raiders-hoodoo/story-fnca0von-1226683996995