Topic: CRRL: NRL Referees Helping Junior Canberra Referees

RNA

• Administrator
  • Jason Croker
CRRL: NRL Referees Helping Junior Canberra Referees
« on: July 03, 2017, 12:45:06 PM »
   Junior referees in Canberra were given a treat when NRL referee Henry Perenara visited local grounds to meet them for part of the NRL’s Back to Junior’s Round.

Perenara was joined by fellow NRL referees and touch judges Dave Munro, David Ryan and Russell Turner as the quartet gave advice to their junior counterparts.

One referee who got to learn from Perenara was 14-year-old Cameron Scott who couldn’t believe it when he saw the NRL official watching his game.

“I was happy, but I couldn’t believe it,” Scott said. “I heard that he might come around, but I wasn’t really looking for him. Then I saw him at halftime, and he was watching my game.

“After the match, he was giving me compliments and telling me things I should work on and what I do well. It made me feel really good about what I do.”

Refereeing isn’t Scott’s only involvement with rugby league as he also plays for the Gungahlin Bulls. However, wanting to be involved in the sport even further, Scott decided to take up refereeing.

“I was looking to get a bit of money on the weekend and have some fun with the game I love,” Scott said.

Canberra and District Rugby League Referees Association (CDRLRA) Executive Officer, Chris Nightingale believed it was important for young referees like Cameron to learn how to reach the highest level of officiating from people like Perenara.

“It’s important because it can give them an idea of where their career can go in the future if they put the time and effort into their own refereeing career,” Nightingale said. “They can see from the grassroots level that they can make it to the elite level.”

If you would like to get involved with refereeing, please contact Chris Nightingale via executive.officer@canberrareferees.com.au.

More: http://websites.sportstg.com/assoc_page.cgi?client=7-1084-0-0-0&sID=13485&&news_task=DETAIL&articleID=57045074