Topic: Widdop, Benji spark Dragons' win

Archie

• Love My Mighty Raiders! RNA Website Developer
  • Administrator
  • Jason Croker
Widdop, Benji spark Dragons' win
« on: May 17, 2015, 05:17:15 PM »
Gareth Widdop and Benji Marshall scored a try each and combined to mesmerise Canberra as they spearheaded St George Illawarra to a 32-18 NRL victory at WIN Stadium.

While the Dragons' expected NSW State of Origin selections Josh Dugan and Trent Merrin had relatively quiet games, international halves Widdop and Marshall took control, laying on four of their team's five tries.

St George Illawarra's sixth win in seven games lifted them into a share of the competition lead on 14 points with the Storm, Cowboys and Broncos.

The Dragons headed into the round 10 clash with the NRL's best defensive record but worst attacking record and they responded by posting their highest score of the season.

Widdop finished with 16 points (one try, six goals) including the opening try from a neat Marshall grubber in only the fourth minute.

The halves pair then produced the last passes for the second try to skipper Jason Nightingale for a 12-0 lead on 17 minutes.

The Raiders rallied from 20-6 down just before halftime with a try by interchange forward Shannon Boyd with the last play of the first half and then Queensland Origin hopeful Josh Papalii scored straight after the break to only trail 20-18.

But two moments of Widdop magic ensured the Dragons would end a three-game winning streak by Canberra in Wollongong.

First the Great Britain star put an enticing last tackle kick which was knocked into the arms of ex-Raider Joel Thompson who scored for 26-18.

Then, with his left foot, Widdop delivered the perfect grubber for Marshall to score under the posts and seal victory.

"My combination with Benji is building," Widdop said.

"We've been working on it all season, since pre-season and we're getting better.

"A few things went our way with kicks but you practice that to hopefully come off in the game."

Dragons forward Tyson Frizell has been touted as a NSW Origin bolter and had a strong game, with a superb pass leading to a try by rookie centre Euan Aitken.

"It would be great to play (Origin) but I'm only thinking about the Dragons," said Frizell, who recently played for Country against City.

"I'm loving my role playing a bit wider. Benji and Gareth are steering the team superbly and I'm doing my part hopefully."

Canberra skipper Jarrod Croker was denied a dream start in his 150th NRL game with a try contentiously disallowed in only the second minute by the video referees who ruled a double-movement.

More: http://wwos.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=8988337