Topic: McCrone ready to rumble with Orford

RNA

• Administrator
  • Jason Croker
McCrone ready to rumble with Orford
« on: February 18, 2011, 06:36:12 PM »
McCrone ready to rumble with Orford

Armed with NRL finals experience Josh McCrone is ready to take the Canberra Raiders to the next level with the man who took his No.7 jersey - Matt Orford.

Far from displaying any bitterness at being shifted from halfback to five-eighth after a stellar 2010, McCrone is relishing the opportunity of working with Orford, who captained Manly to a premiership three years ago.

Besides that, the 23-year-old McCrone believes moving from half to five-eighth is no bid deal these days.

"I'll wear a different number that's about it," he said.

"We play left and right halves anyway, so it's pretty much the same thing for me. I played on the right side last year and Furnsey (Coach David Furner) wants me to stay there on that right side."

Orford, 32, was signed to a one-year deal with Canberra to help out the young Raiders backline after veteran five-eighth Terry Campese did his knee in their painful 26-24 semi-final loss to Wests Tigers last year.

"I could understand where the club's coming from," McCrone said.

"What he (Orford) brings to the table is good for us. Especially for our backline, we needed an older head there.

"I would have been the oldest and I'm only just coming off my first full year of first grade."

McCrone believes the Raiders are already benefitting from having the 2008 Dally M Medal winner at the club.

"Between him and the young guns it's been pretty good," he said.

"And with me, it's just little things like he's done, like telling me to watch your depth in attack and things like that that only experience teaches you."

Campese is expected to miss the bulk of the year but could still play a part in the finals, should the Raiders replicate last year's form.

And McCrone is aware that he will have to perform, otherwise he could be on the sidelines.

McCrone said he would be calling the shots at five-eighth for the Raiders in their trial against the Melbourne Storm with Orford on the sidelines at Bega on the NSW South Coast on Saturday night.

The experience of finals football has McCrone full of confidence and ready to do it all again this year.

"It was an awesome feeling last year, running out onto Bruce Stadium with 26,000 people there, that was the best experience I've had playing footy and I want to do it again," McCrone said.

"There's a great feeling in Canberra, people know we have a good team and we know we've got a good team, we're pretty excited about this season."

New Raider and former Storm enforcer Brett White will play in the trial against his old club while Canberra's brilliant young fullback Josh Dugan will be rested from Saturday's match.

Source: wwos.com.au top league stories

Chase94

• RNA Website Developer
  • Administrator
  • Jason Croker
Re: McCrone ready to rumble with Orford
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2011, 09:20:28 PM »
This year is gona be great for McCrone I reckon. He always played a bit like a 5/8 anyway even when he was at 7 because Campo was tiller master of the ship. Will be awesome to see the little bloke work his magic while Orford does all the thinking and he can also pick up some good tips.

Raidercast

• Raidercast Commentary Team
  • Administrator
  • Jason Croker
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2011, 12:57:15 PM »
Sure will mate. McCrone will be a much smarter player at the end of this year for all the time he will spend with Ox. I like the fact that Furner isn't changing too much about the way he plays. With a new halves partner coming in the less change for the bloke the better and I just think it will help him transition back to playing with Campo in the future.

GB7600

• Administrator
  • Jason Croker
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2011, 01:21:04 PM »
You couldn't get a much better teacher for a young 7 than someone like Orford. He has been to the dance many times and knows what he is doing. Fairly sure that he is the only premiership winner in the club now too, unless you include Brett White's stripped premierships from Melbourne, which I don't, sorry Brett ;)

pocket rocket

• John Ferguson
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2011, 02:06:26 PM »
Big game for McCrone and Williams will be good to see how they go tegeather without a more experienced player to help them along. This is Williams big chance to impress DF and let him know that he is ready for NRL if one of the starters goes down. Im tipping a break out game from him and also a big one from Robbo and Low. They all got a few points to prove you would think

Archie

• Love My Mighty Raiders! RNA Website Developer
  • Administrator
  • Jason Croker
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2011, 02:28:31 PM »
This year will feature the making of Josh McCrone into a top level half. He has the talent, ability, speed, skill, and determination to do it. He just needs fine tuning and more experience, which he will get in bucket loads this year. I'm looking forward to seeing him develop into something special. It won't happen over night but you can see that it is there waiting to be found.