Topic: Canberra Raiders Cup 2021: Round 12 Preview

Raidercast

• Raidercast Commentary Team
  • Administrator
  • Jason Croker
Canberra Raiders Cup 2021: Round 12 Preview
« on: July 15, 2021, 12:52:16 PM »
The Blumers Lawyers Canberra Raiders Cup will continue this weekend with the famous Queanbeyan derby headlining the round with the Queanbeyan Kangaroos hosting the Queanbeyan Blues.

Match of the Round: Queanbeyan Kangaroos v Queanbeyan Blues, 3pm Saturday 17 July at Seears Workwear Oval The Blues will look to make it two from two in the Queanbeyan derby after narrowly defeating the Roos 24-22 at home back in round five.

The Blues have been in fine form since then, posting eight wins for only two losses, with a chance to leapfrog Gungahlin for first place on the ladder.

However the Roos have also been building some momentum and they will look to make it four in a row this weekend over their fierce rivals to solidify their third spot on the ladder.

The match will be ever-so-special for both sides as they will take the field in their indigenous jerseys to celebrate the Kangaroos’ indigenous round.

Roos centre Gideon Afemui spoke about the importance of the indigenous jerseys and their preparations before this weekend.

“It’s a special round. The Roos v Blues [match] is always special to play in but I think this one, the bigger one is for the jerseys,” Afemui said.

The Roos have had a strange month of football, only playing three games in seven weeks due to byes  and representative rounds. Afemui touched on how the team has been coping and preparing with the extra few weeks rest.

“It has been weird, but we’ve picked up on it at training. We did a lot of physical defensive training and I think it’s got us prepared for our next game,” Afemui said

“It’s going to be a physical one. I think both teams will throw each other at each other. It will be won up the middle and the backs will play off it,” Afemui added.

Tuggeranong Bushrangers v Belconnen United Sharks, 2pm Saturday 17th July at Greenway Oval The Tuggeranong Bushrangers will host the Sharks this weekend in a bid to turn their season around ahead of finals football.

More: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2021/07/15/canberra-raiders-cup-2021-round-12-preview/