Topic: Sam Williams Talks About His Return to the NRL

Archie

• Love My Mighty Raiders! RNA Website Developer
  • Administrator
  • Jason Croker
Sam Williams Talks About His Return to the NRL
« on: April 26, 2012, 06:02:04 PM »
Williams back to where he began

The similarities between rising Canberra Raiders star Sam Williams’ 2011 debut and his debut in 2012 are strikingly parallel.

Both debut’s followed an unfortunate injury to a senior playmaker in which Williams was thrust into the hot seat and both will be on a Sunday afternoon against the Cronulla Sharks at Canberra Stadium.

A few things have changed though.

Williams is a year wiser, 18 games more experienced and has been allowed the time to refine his game in the NSW Cup.

“I think that 12 months of maturity is a massive thing,” said Williams.
“I’d like to think that I’m still developing as a player and that my game is still improving and I think the extra 12 months of growing and training has made a big difference.”

“It’s another great opportunity for me. It [my debut] came about from a similar situation as last year but I guess this year I’ve had a little bit more preparation and a really good pre-season under my belt so I’m really excited to get the chance this weekend.”

“I think the NSW Cup is a really good stepping stone for a lot of players. Daly Cherry Evans spent 12 months in the Queensland Cup after the Toyota Cup and he’s come along well and it’s seemed to have worked well for him. The six weeks that I’ve had there have been really beneficial. Hopefully I can take a bit of the confidence that I’ve gained from the NSW Cup into Sunday.”

With the side currently sitting at 10th place on the ladder, Williams knows too well that he and halves partner Josh McCrone need to reignite their exciting combination immediately. The pair have spent plenty of time together and Williams is confident the partnership will continue to blossom over the course of the season.

“We had eighteen games together last year and then we had a lot of time in the pre-season to work together so it’s starting to get to that point where we’ve had a fair bit of time together. We’ve got to make sure that we start to click straight away and I’m confident that it will.”

“I think the halfback position is a really important role within the team. You’ve got to make sure you’re guiding the team around and making sure you’re barking the orders. You can’t be too shy when you get out there. Once you cross the line we’ve all got our own job to do and I’ve got to make sure that I’m doing it from the word go.”

Williams will also welcome the existing combination he shares with close friend and housemate Matt McIlwrick, who will make his debut from the bench and share the dummy half role with Glen Buttriss.

“I’ve played a lot of footy with Matty. I think we first played together when I was seventeen so it’s definitely a big advantage having played so much with him. I can get out there and try and help him out a little bit I guess but he’s a very switched on hooker and I think he’ll do a really good job for us.”

The match kicks off at 2pm this Sunday at Canberra Stadium.

Source: Raiders