Topic: JT and I still mates: Papalii

RNA

• Administrator
  • Jason Croker
JT and I still mates: Papalii
« on: July 10, 2013, 05:57:28 PM »
There have been no hard feelings between Canberra enforcer Josh Papalii and Cowboys playmaker Johnathan Thurston since linking in the Queensland camp ahead of next week's State of Origin decider in Sydney.

That's despite Raiders wrecking ball Papalii gleefully trampling Test pivot Thurston in Canberra's 26-18 win that left the Cowboys' NRL finals hopes in disarray on Sunday.

Still, Papalii has not ruled out Thurston venting his frustration on NSW as Queensland vies for a remarkable eighth straight Origin title.

Origin's "mate against mate" motto received a new twist when Canberra purposely ran 110kg, 183cm Papalii at Maroons teammate Thurston - a tad 28kg lighter - on the left edge in the last round NRL clash, with spectacular results.

Papalii earned man of the match honours with a 158m effort - most of them racked up all over a hapless Thurston.

The Canberra gun's big fend on Thurston that set up a brilliant solo try for Papalii summed up the Maroons playmaker's horrid outing in the nation's capital.

Thurston cut a dejected figure in the Cowboys dressing room afterwards and was one of the last to leave.

But Papalii was hardly apologetic after the pair reunited in the Queensland camp before Origin III.

"Johnathan knows that when you are with the boys here you are with Queensland but when you are at your club it is different," he said.

"I knew there would be no hard feelings. Now we are back here we are back to being mates.

"He knows I was just doing my job."

Papalii may have broken Thurston but he chuckled at the suggestion the Cowboys pivot's shocker in Canberra bode well for NSW ahead of Origin III.

"He's been a class player for years. He will know what to do - no doubt he will bounce back," he said.

Cowboys and Queensland teammate Brent Tate said no one should read too much into Thurston's emotional reaction to the Canberra loss - especially NSW.

"He's his harshest critic in footy and life in general," he said.

"Everything that has been written about him in the last few days would not have worried Johnno.

"He's the best player in the game - I know he will bounce back."

Indeed Queensland chairman of selectors Des Morris only seemed buoyed by news Thurston had a weekend shocker for the Cowboys.

"That will only drive him. You don't see too many poor performances from him," he said.

"If he is cranky on himself then that should play to our advantage."

Source: http://wwos.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=8687616