Topic: Raiders Wait on Outcome of Williams Shoulder Injury

Archie

• Love My Mighty Raiders! RNA Website Developer
  • Administrator
  • Jason Croker
Raiders Wait on Outcome of Williams Shoulder Injury
« on: August 28, 2012, 12:37:28 PM »
Raiders wait on Williams

Canberra's hopes of completing a remarkable late-season charge to make the NRL finals could hinge on the results of scans for halfback Sam Williams who is battling a shoulder injury.

The young No.7 was forced from the field late in the Raiders' 34-6 demolition of Canterbury on Friday night after suffering damage to the trapezius muscle in his left shoulder.

Williams underwent tests on Monday afternoon and Raiders coach David Furner will be sweating on the results, with his side needing to beat the Warriors in New Zealand on Sunday to nail down a finals berth.

The 21-year-old is not the only injury concern for the Raiders with forwards Tom Learoyd-Lahrs and Joel Thompson also in doubt.

But the loss of a key playmaker in such a vital game would be a cruel blow for the Green Machine, who have surged into finals contention over the last month with four straight wins.

"The scan will give us the extent of his injury and it will let us know if he's OK," Furner told reporters on Monday.

"He's battling a trap injury and if there's a tear there he'd be risking more damage so it's not something you can put a needle in and play with.

"There are two options to go into that position, but I think I want to find out where Sammy is (on Tuesday) as to whether I'll be wrestling with the idea of who takes his place."

Furner's options include moving fullback Josh Dugan back into the halves alongside Josh McCrone or starting with veteran utility Shaun Berrigan.

Berrigan, who filled in at halfback against the Bulldogs, is the most likely option and he is keen to take on the role against his former club if called upon.

"It's early in the week…but wherever Dave needs me I'll put my hand up and do my best," he said.

Berrigan, who won a premiership with the Broncos is 2006, is excited about the prospect of playing in the finals again and isn't surprised at the way his side have turned their season around in the past month.

"There's a lot of young guys in this team and I suppose it just took a while for the penny to drop," he said.

"We've just stuck at it all year. Any team that doesn't make the finals in this day and age will see it as a failure.

"We've just got to focus on this weekend and if we win, we're in there."

The Raiders will start strong favourites against a Warriors side that have lost seven matches in a row and been woeful for most of the season.

Source: Sportal