Topic: Boyd admitted to mental health clinic

Archie

• Love My Mighty Raiders! RNA Website Developer
  • Administrator
  • Jason Croker
Boyd admitted to mental health clinic
« on: July 23, 2014, 02:18:26 PM »
Darius Boyd has been granted indefinite leave from the NRL to seek treatment for depression with his Newcastle coach Wayne Bennett praising the fullback for seeking help.

The Knights issued a statement on Wednesday to reveal the Australian and Queensland State of Origin representative had been admitted to a mental health clinic.

Bennett said Boyd had been battling problems for several months.

"I'm pleased for Darius that he's recognised that he's obviously got a problem," Bennett said.

"It's a self-admission one and he has come to this conclusion himself, and he booked himself into rehab in Sydney this morning.

"He's always had different little issues, but no more than I've noticed in the past.

"I've always had a close relationship and good communication with him, but late last week he started to talk more about it.

"He obviously needed help and in the end he realised that he needed to get some professional help."

Newcastle chief executive Matt Gidley said there was no timeframe on Boyd's return to rugby league, with their focus purely on his health.

"Depression is a serious illness in our society and we are pleased Darius has taken the first step in his recovery by acknowledging he needs help," Gidley said.

"Football is secondary at this point, it is important Darius' focus is entirely on his treatment."

The news follows reports on Wednesday that the 27-year-old trashed a luxury hotel room in the Hunter Valley.

According to News Corp Australia, Boyd caused $1500 worth of damage after breaking a television, smashed glass and put a hole in a wall last week.

He later rang the resort's general manager to apologise and offer to pay for the damage.

Gidley told the publication the club was not aware of the incident.

Boyd has been in the spotlight in recent weeks, following a bizarre encounter with a television reporter the day after Queensland's win in State of Origin III.

Much focus has also been his future in rugby league, after long-time mentor Bennett announced he was leaving Newcastle and returning to Brisbane next season.

Boyd has a clause in his contract that says he can leave the Knights should Bennett no longer be in charge.

* Readers seeking support and information can contact MensLine Australia 1300 78 99 78 or Lifeline on 13 11 14.

More: http://wwos.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=8878915