Topic: Lay off Furner: Learoyd-Lahrs

Archie

• Love My Mighty Raiders! RNA Website Developer
  • Administrator
  • Jason Croker
Lay off Furner: Learoyd-Lahrs
« on: April 06, 2012, 02:43:34 PM »
Lay off Furner: Learoyd-Lahrs

Sick and tired of speculation over David Furner's future, Canberra prop Tom Learoyd-Lahrs says the under-fire coach is working harder than anyone to turn the club's fortunes around in the face of a crippling injury toll.

"Furnsy is working hard. He is working around the clock to get us ready," Learoyd-Lahrs said. "One of the hardest things with our injury toll is trying to pick a team and picking blokes in positions – tinkering with combinations.

"He's got a big job at the moment so I don't think his job should be speculated about. It shouldn't even come into it. Like I said, he is working really hard and we’re all working alongside him to try and get the form on the board. It’s not all his responsibility."

It was suggested before Round 1 that Furner had eight weeks to prove himself this season after a disappointing 2011, and with two wins from five games so far the jury is still out on what his future might hold.

However, there is no doubt his cause hasn't been helped by injuries to key players with the Raiders set to field their 23rd different player against the Warriors this weekend. By comparison, Manly used just 24 players all year on their way to the title last season.

"It doesn't help losing so many big-name players," Learoyd-Lahrs said, pointing to injuries to the likes of Josh Dugan, Brett White, Shaun Fensom and Joel Thompson.

"Obviously myself, Dane Tilse and David Shillington have had niggling injuries to start the season off too which has held us back a bit. We can't use that as an excuse but it hasn't been easy.

"I try not to put too much pressure on myself but I had a pretty bad foot that certainly hampered me for a few games there. It has taken me a few games to get back to fitness.

"Now that we've lost 'Whitey' I guess it comes down to everyone individually doing their job, sticking to the game plan and being patient. We'll turn the corner, I have no doubt about that."

Source: Bigpond