Topic: Ferguson needs professional help

Archie

• Love My Mighty Raiders! RNA Website Developer
  • Administrator
  • Jason Croker
Ferguson needs professional help
« on: September 01, 2013, 09:43:11 PM »
By: Danny Weidler

It’s not the popular thing to say or write a kind word about wayward Canberra centre Blake Ferguson at the moment. He makes it hard to support him at times but consider this  – the Raiders gave him time off for personal reasons last week because his dad was getting out of jail. Consider that as you celebrate your Father’s Day. Every player outside of the Raiders that I speak to has good things to say about Ferguson. “He is a good kid,” said Blues skipper Paul Gallen. “I’ve know him for a long time and yes he does have some real issues but is he alone on that? I know at his core he is a good person.”

Todd Carney has been there and done that. “Blake needs to be in a football environment where he can just be Blake,” Carney said. “I think he would thrive in that situation. I think right now it’s important that he gets back in an environment where football is his priority.” Carney was dragged into a controversy when he went out with Ferguson on Saturday night. “I was driving that night – I was home by 10,” he said. “I had my mum ringing me asking me if I was out on the town. I had a game on Monday night – as if I was going to be out on the town.” Ferguson was out and about. He had friends who were worried about his behaviour at the Trademark Hotel in Kings Cross.

He was put in a cab by none other than former NRL bad boy John Hopoate, who these days works as a bouncer, but still ended up at another Cross nightspot, The Club, until the early hours. He needs to learn there is a time and a place to let loose and now is not that time. What it does say is that Ferguson’s issues are far more complex and far deeper than anyone knows. A cleanskin in boxer Anthony Mundine has been trying to help him, but he needs the help of a professional, not of a well-meaning sportsman.

Read more: http://www.canberratimes.com.au/sport/man-of-substance-shot-in-the-arm-took-weight-off-earls-shoulders-20130831-2sxe7.html#ixzz2ddlqxMV1