Topic: Canberra Raiders Cup Round 3 Preview: Bulls V Scholars

RNA

• Administrator
  • Jason Croker
Canberra Raiders Cup Round 3 Preview: Bulls V Scholars
« on: May 03, 2013, 04:22:48 PM »
Gungahlin Bulls (5) v Belconnen United Scholars (7) on Saturday at 3:00pm at Raiders Belconnen

The Gungahlin Bulls will aim to defeat both of last year’s Grand Finalists in consecutive weeks when they take on the Belconnen United Scholars on Saturday afternoon.

Gungahlin defeated last year’s runners up the Queanbeyan Kangaroos 31-24 last round in what was a terrific effort by the Bulls.

“We were really happy with the way we performed last week against the Roos and it’s given the side the confidence that we can match it with the best teams in the competition,” said Captain-Coach Josh Ayres.

“We’ve recruited quite well and we’ve got a good mix of young and experienced players and everyone’s been training the house down which is great to see.

“The vibe has been great at training compared to last year when we weren’t getting a full team to training. Now I’m getting a full squad of over 20 and it’s meant that I’ve had to make plenty of tough choices.

“Instead of scratching my head thinking who I’m going to bring up I’m sitting back wondering who I’m going to have to put back down. They’re very good headaches for me to have.”

It hasn’t been the most ideal start by the defending premiers however Belconnen United Coach John Hawke is confident of turning their fortunes around this weekend.

“It hurts losing on the buzzer in both games but there are always positives to come out of it and those losses make this week all the more important,” said Hawke.

“We’re not too fazed with our slow start. We’d obviously prefer to have won those but it’s a long season. We’ve got a couple of kids from our 18s side last year coming through and it’s just about giving them a go with a few blokes out injured.

“It doesn’t get any easier for us this week coming up against the Bulls. They beat the Roos last week so that says something about them. We know that we’re in for a big game.”

Whilst Ayres is confident in his own sides fortunes, he is wary of the threat that the Scholars pose to his side despite the loss of 2012 Les McIntyre Medal Winner Brent Crisp who has left the Canberra to work in the mines.

“The Scholars have been unlucky with their two losses, conceding tries on the buzzer so we’re not reading into their early season form too much,” said Ayres.

“The Scholars are a great side and have been for a number of years. They’ve got a mix of young and old this year which is fantastic. They just keep on producing top quality talent. Their young blokes are just unbelievable and won the 18s Grand Final last year.

“Crispy is a huge loss for them but I can see one of their young blokes stepping up for them and taking over straight away.

“It’s just a matter of completing your sets with them. They’re a side that likes to get in the grind with you and wait until you make an error so if you can stay in that grind and not make an error that’s where I think it’s going to be won.”

The Bulls have been on the up since Ayres took over as Captain-Coach and he has lofty ambitions for 2013 as the club plans to celebrate their 20th anniversary in style.

“When I got the Captain-Coach role we came last the year before and it had just been a rebuilding stage until we found that right mix of players. I think that we’ve found that mix this year.

“It’s the 20th anniversary of the Gungahlin Bulls so we’re absolutely looking at making this year a big one. Obviously we want to make the semis and keep pushing for the Grand Final to hopefully celebrate the milestone in a big way.”

There’s no better time to prove they’re premiership contenders than by defeating last year’s premiers, the Scholars.

Source: Raiders Press Release