Topic: David Shillington ready to extend contract with Canberra Raiders

RNA

• Administrator
  • Jason Croker
David Shillington ready to extend contract with Canberra Raiders

DAVID Shillington has all but closed the door on a return to Queensland, with the Maroons prop expected to sign an extended deal at Canberra worth almost $1 million.

And The Sunday Telegraph has learned the Broncos will not table a formal offer to Maroons winger Darius Boyd, who is tipped to formally announce a four-year deal with the Knights after the State of Origin series.

Off contract at the end of next season, Shillington had flagged the prospect of playing for the Broncos or Titans in 2013 to be closer to his family in Brisbane.

But the Raiders prop has begun negotiations on a new contract that could see the 27-year-old remain in Canberra until the end of 2015.

As one of the code's leading bookends, Shillington is worth in excess of $300,000 on the open market and is seeking a three-year extension with the Raiders.

"I've got another year to go but my manager has been talking to Don Furner (Canberra chief executive) and things are a fair way down the line as far as extending goes," said Shillington, who was in Brisbane during Canberra's bye this weekend to visit family.

"Negotiations are going really well. I'm keen to stay here and the Raiders are happy for me to stay, so hopefully we can finalise something in the next few weeks.

"I'd like a three-year deal. I would have been happy to make it to 30, but with the rehab we do these days you take care of your body so much better.

"Petero (Civoniceva) and Pricey (former Queensland and Test prop Steve Price) have paved the way to play until your mid-30s.

"This deal would take me to 30 or 31 and then I'll reassess."

Source: The Herald Sun

Archie

• Love My Mighty Raiders! RNA Website Developer
  • Administrator
  • Jason Croker
Re: David Shillington ready to extend contract with Canberra Raiders
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2011, 09:23:33 AM »
Great news  :13:

pocket rocket

• John Ferguson
Re: David Shillington ready to extend contract with Canberra Raiders
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2011, 03:05:00 PM »
needs to put more effort in if he wants to get back to his best. down on form and confidence imo. maybe this could be just what he needs to turn it around. good to have him locked in again,