Topic: Dominant Raiders pack to provide challenge for Storm

Archie

• Love My Mighty Raiders! RNA Website Developer
  • Administrator
  • Jason Croker
Dominant Raiders pack to provide challenge for Storm
« on: August 03, 2013, 10:56:51 PM »
Storm must contain Raiders big men

VETERAN prop Jason Ryles says Melbourne Storm must contain the Raiders' rampaging forward pack in Sunday's crucial clash at Canberra Stadium.

The numbers suggest Storm - which has lost four of its past five games - is coming back to the field and falling behind the high-flying Sydney Roosters and South Sydney Rabbitohs.

Statistics show scoring has dried up - Storm is now averaging 20.9 a game and ranked sixth in the NRL for tries scored.

And while the Roosters and Rabbitohs are conceding an average of 11.6 and 14.1 per game respectively, Storm is leaking 15.7.

Canberra will be looking to heap more pain on Storm, well aware its opponents are in the midst of a form slump.

The Raiders are well served in the forwards department by the likes of Josh Papalii and David Shillington.

Ryles, 34, said he felt primed for the challenge.

"They're definitely one of the bigger forward packs in the competition," he said. "They certainly rely on their forwards to create room for the likes of (Blake) Ferguson and (Terry) Campese.

"While it is a big part of their game, it is going to be a big focus of ours to limit the impact of their forward pack and keep our defensive line in check."

Storm is up against an in-form Canberra team.

The Raiders have won their past three games and remain unbeaten at Canberra Stadium this year against a Storm side they defeated at AAMI Park earlier in the season.

"It's a big job in front of us - we don't have the best record against Canberra the last two years I've been here," Ryles said.

"But first and foremost, we're going to concentrate on getting things right for ourselves and then see how the game goes from there."

Ryles insists the fourth-placed Storm's best football is coming - much like the way the team turned it around last season.

"We know we are not far away - we've identified the areas that have let us down and hopefully we can make it all come together this weekend.

This is Ryles' swan-song season, and he knows he is lucky to still be out there.

He returned from a possible career-ending knee injury last week.

"There was a little bit of a pop in my knee, but it was my medial as it turned out.

"But it definitely did cross my mind that this could be it when it happened.

"It happened to me once before, and it was an ACL when I was 19.

"That thought came into my mind, but luckily it was a good result," Ryles said.

At least two changes are expected today after Slade Griffin and Siosaia Vave - who were named on the Storm bench - played in the NSW Cup on Saturday.

Jordan McLean, Lagi Setu and Kenny Bromwich have also made the trip to Canberra and could play.

Source: http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/nrl/storm-must-contain-raiders-big-men/story-fni3gpfh-1226690739037