Topic: Legend Q&A: Adam Mogg

Raidercast

• Raidercast Commentary Team
  • Administrator
  • Jason Croker
Legend Q&A: Adam Mogg
« on: October 05, 2020, 10:09:53 AM »
Adam Mogg wasn't a player who you'd identify with natural flare or the ability to bust a game wide open through pure skill. But what Mogg lacked with speed or strength on the edge was made up by a willingness to work hard and never give up.

With a debut in the NRL under his belt at the ripe age of 24, Mogg went on to prove doubters wrong, travel the world and help kick-start an eight-year Origin dynasty.

The former Parramatta and Canberra outside back spoke to NRL.com about his nine-year professional career.

Legend Q&A: Adam Mogg You were born in Toowoomba – what was it like to grow up in rugby league heartland? It was a typical country town upbringing and then we moved to the Sunny Coast when I was 11. The weekends you were on your bike or down at the beach. We played a lot of sport like footy, tennis and cricket. My brother started playing for the Newtown Lions so then I wanted to start playing and that's how I got involved. 

You were scouted by Parramatta at 24 in 2002 – how did that come about and did you think your chances of playing in the NRL were already over? I was at Redcliffe for five years and won the player of the Queensland competition in 2001 and the Eels offered me a match-payment contract. I packed up my car, drove down to Sydney and turned up at Parramatta with clothes in my boot and said 'I'm here to play footy'. No one knew who I was, I trained with the reserve-grade team and then got elevated into the first-grade squad. Brett Hodgson got injured at Origin and it opened up the opportunity for me to get a shot at fullback.

I went down with the sole purpose to give it my best shot. I was in a good system with Brian Smith and Hayden Knowles and it was great for me. I got faster and stronger. Without being introduced to Hayden I don't think I would've made it as far as I did. You can see with the Penrith team he's got running now, they're fit, big, fast and strong.

More: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2020/10/05/legend-qa-adam-mogg/