Topic: Campese Rejects "Premature" Origin Talk After Stunning Game Against Tigers

RNA

• Administrator
  • Jason Croker
Campese rejects "premature" Origin talk

CANBERRA skipper Terry Campese has labelled calls for him to be named New South Wales’ five-eighth in this year’s State of Origin series as “premature”.

After leading his Raiders to a 30-16 victory over the Wests Tigers on Monday night Campese is back to his blistering best having set up two tries and scoring one himself, prompting Origin selection talk.

The Blues are yet to settle on a halves pairing with Mitchell Pearce’s form fluctuation thus far this season and Jamie Soward no certainty to regain his position despite playing in all three games last year.

Campese was unavailable for selection last season following injuries to his knee and groin.

“I missed last year so I’ve been working hard but I think Origin is a little premature for now,” Campese told ABC Canberra.

“I’m just focusing on the Raiders and getting a few wins in a row.

“It’s just getting confidence in all my injuries.”

Campese is no stranger to the representative arena having played for Australia in 2008.

Campese said last night’s performance was very important to the team which now sits seventh with two wins this season.

“It’s just one game and a step forward to where I want to be and hopefully I can get some consistency and build on last night’s performance,” he said.

“(We had) two losses where I thought that we were the better team and we should have come away with the victory.

“Confidence was down a little bit but big training week last week and the coaching staff did a great job with scouting and giving us a few tips on what the Tigers do.

"I think we took a lot out of that and took it into last night’s game.”

Injured prop David Shillington was one of the casualties in Monday’s win, suffering an abdominal strain.

Shillington, who missed the best part of last season with a torn pectoral, is confident the injury will only see him miss a maximum of two rounds.

He is aiming to return for the clubs home clash against the Warriors in Round 6.

“I’ll try for the Warriors home game that gives me almost two weeks so I’ll be optimistic,” he said.

“I know I’ll rip in to my rehab work and be really diligent with that.

“I learnt from my pec last year to tick all the boxes before I try to come back so it’s not a reoccurring injury.

“It’s not great for momentum I thought my match fitness and game time was really coming along.

“I’m just glad it’s only a couple of weeks and nothing more than that.”

With Origin approaching, the Queenslander admitted he is a little worried the injury will affect his chances for selection.

“That’s in the back of my mind,” Shillington admitted.

“I missed the Origin series last year and I was really keen to be a part of it.

“Hopefully I’ll be back for it.”

Source: Sports News First