Topic: Terry Campese named ambassador for CanTeen

Archie

• Love My Mighty Raiders! RNA Website Developer
  • Administrator
  • Jason Croker
Terry Campese named ambassador for CanTeen
« on: July 10, 2012, 10:50:29 AM »
Canberra Raiders star Terry Campese says he is honoured to be named as an Ambassador for CanTeen.

CanTeen offers a range of programs, services and resources to help young people aged 12-24 deal with the emotional, physical and practical issues of living with cancer and help them to take back control of their lives.

As part of his Ambassadorial role, Campese will take part in a five day camp in Murrumbateman this week to support, develop and empower young people living with cancer.

“It’s definitely a big honour to be named as an Ambassador for CanTeen. It means a lot to me to be involved with such a quality organisation and it’s great to become more involved after holding my charity golf day in conjunction with CanTeen,” Campese said. “Having kids of your own and knowing how much they mean to you, it’s sad seeing to see these kids go through their treatments with cancer so I feel privileged to hopefully be able to cheer these kids up.”

The five day CanTeen Program will be held from July 10-14 and is locally based in Murrumbateman and open to CanTeen Members who are aged 12-24 years old.

The five day program focuses on the following outcomes, to build new and/or stronger supportive relationships with other young people going through a similar experience, increased knowledge of effective coping strategies (psychological and practical), a positive sense of self and equally important a reduced sense of isolation.

CanTeen’s ACT and Southern NSW Division Manager, Michelle Blohm, said the organisation was thrilled to have Campese on board given the amount of respect the Raiders five-eighth has throughout Australian and especially within the ACT and Queanbeyan regions.

“Having a high profile person such as Terry supporting CanTeen as our Ambassador increases CanTeen’s awareness and the message about our free programs, resources and services that support young people living with cancer,” said Blohm.

“It is very exciting, particularly for our male CanTeen Members, to have Terry a part of our five day program. Terry is not only a highly regarded sportsman but he is very approachable and a great an all-round role model. CanTeen’s young people will be very excited to meet with him,” Ms Blohm said.

Young people aged 12-24 can join CanTeen as a Member if they fit one of the following criteria;

• Have cancer
• Have a brother or sister with cancer
• Have a Mum or Dad with cancer
• Or have had a brother, sister, Mum or dad die from cancer.

Source: Raiders