Topic: Ferguson faces final hurdle of comeback

Archie

• Love My Mighty Raiders! RNA Website Developer
  • Administrator
  • Jason Croker
Ferguson faces final hurdle of comeback
« on: August 04, 2013, 12:56:53 AM »
Match fitness is Ferguson's final hurdle on Raiders comeback trail

Raiders coach David Furner says a lack of match fitness is the only thing holding NSW State of Origin winger Blake Ferguson back from returning to the NRL.

Ferguson is expected to be reinstated for Saturday's clash with the red-hot Sydney Roosters in his first game at the top level since being deregistered by the NRL for repeated alcohol-related incidents.

He has spent the past two weeks playing in the NSW Cup with Canberra's feeder club Mounties, including a game against the Bears at North Sydney Oval on Saturday, as the Raiders resisted the urge to rush the 23-year-old centre straight back into first grade. Furner said Ferguson was a bit rusty after serving a month-long suspension and needed the extra game time in reserve grade to force his way back into an in-form Raiders side. The Raiders are on a three-game winning streak heading into Sunday's match with Melbourne at Canberra Stadium.

''Fergo said to me after the game last week that he's underdone,'' Furner said. ''I know he's done some alternative training in those four or five weeks … I just thought his fitness was a little bit down, and he actually admitted that. I expect a good showing for the following week [against the Roosters]. I watched his game [for] the Mounties and there's some areas he needs to work on.''

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/match-fitness-is-fergusons-final-hurdle-on-raiders-comeback-trail-20130803-2r66b.html#ixzz2auz6Bk2P