Topic: Raiders finally make a signing in McCrone

Archie

• Love My Mighty Raiders! RNA Website Developer
  • Administrator
  • Jason Croker
Raiders finally make a signing in McCrone
« on: June 16, 2014, 01:39:55 PM »
Canberra finally have a signature on paper, with playmaker Josh McCrone committing to stay with the battling NRL club for the next two seasons.

Despite embarking upon an "aggressive" recruitment drive, a number of big names have turned down overtures from coach Ricky Stuart to join the Raiders.

They include Wests Tigers fullback James Tedesco, who agreed to move to Canberra before turning his back on the big money deal earlier this month, plus Melbourne forward Kevin Proctor and Penrith winger Josh Mansour.

So the retention of McCrone until the end of the 2016 season comes as a relief to the struggling club.

McCrone, 27, said in an club statement he believed the Raiders had a good future.

"I'm pleased to have my future secure here in Canberra and I look forward to building on the new culture that Ricky Stuart has started," he said.

"A number of great players have re-signed so far this year and I believe we have a team who can improve and become a finals contender."

The former Country Origin representative has played 118 games for the Raiders and chief executive Don Furner welcomed his retention.

"Josh has played over 100 NRL matches for the Raiders and is one of the team's most consistent performers," he said.

"He can play in the halves or at hooker and we see his role as an important one for the Raiders over the next two seasons."

More: http://wwos.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=8860689