Topic: Wighton to captain NSW

RNA

• Administrator
  • Jason Croker
Wighton to captain NSW
« on: June 16, 2011, 01:41:23 AM »
Wighton to captain NSW

CANBERRA Raiders Toyota Cup star Jack Wighton has been named captain of the New South Wales Blues for tonight’s State Of Origin curtain raiser at ANZ Stadium.

An Orange CYMS and Bloomfield junior, Wighton will lead the Blues against Queensland in the under 18s match in front of a packed house in Sydney with the honour of captaining his state.

“It’s pretty huge. It’s going to be really good. I can’t wait to get out there,” Wighton said.

In his first full year in Canberra’s National Youth Competition, Wighton has developed into one of the leaders in the Green Machine outfit.

He is hoping he can do the same for the Blues.

“We’ve had a couple of hard days training. If we show up and everyone does their job we’ll go alright,” he said.

“I’ll look to go out there and just lead the side around the park.”

Raiders Toyota Cup coach David Hamilton had no doubt the big five-eighth - who’ll line-up in the number seven for NSW - will shine on the big stage.

“He is a confident kid. When he first came into the (Canberra) side he was only 17, but having a few of the SG Ball guys now in 20s with him, they probably see him as a bit of a leader,” Hamilton said.

“(Fellow Raider) Mitch Cornish would probably have been the NSW seven but he broke his jaw in the Melbourne game. It would have been nice to have that combination there.”

Wighton debuted at fullback for the Raiders under 20s side last year a just 17 - winning the side’s man of the match award.

After turning 18 in February, Wighton has now cemented his place in the side alongside boom half Sam Williams.

“He has had to step up with Sam Williams playing NRL now but he’s done that and he is leading the side around the park,” Hamilton said following Williams’ rise into the NRL ranks after injuries to star halves Terry Campese and Matt Orford.

“Having Matt McIlwrick at nine has also helped but he is a confident kid once he crosses that white line. He knows his job.”

Wighton’s selection in the Blues side comes as a surprise to no one at the nation’s capital.

Hamilton said Wighton would lead the Blues from the front against what is tipped to be a tough under 18s Maroons outfit.

“I don’t want to put too much pressure on him, he does that himself,” he said.

“He’ll play well, or I’ll think he has had a great game and he’ll come off and say he’s played terrible. He’s his own harshest critic. Once he gets that behind him he’ll go great.”

Hamilton predicted Wighton, who tips the scales at 93 kilograms, will have a massive future in the sport.

“We think he has a huge future with the club. He’ll train with the top squad next year and we’re probably looking at 2013 for an NRL debut, but who knows, he might even sneak in next year,” he said.

“He still has two years of NYC, but to be fair I don’t think it would be fair on him if he was still playing in that second year.”

The NSW under 18s side will take on the Queensland under 18s in front of a packed ANZ Stadium tonight.

Kick-off is at 6.10pm.

Source: Central Western Daily