Topic: CRRL: Freeman-Quay Signs NSW Cup Deal

RNA

• Administrator
  • Jason Croker
CRRL: Freeman-Quay Signs NSW Cup Deal
« on: October 25, 2017, 01:35:40 PM »
   Tori Freeman-Quay’s impressive season has been capped off as the second-rower signed a deal to play in the NSW Cup with the Newcastle Knights.

“It’s a big honour,” said Freeman-Quay. “To have an opportunity to pursue a career in football is very exciting and I’m keen to have a good crack at it.”

Freeman-Quay’s move comes off the back of his performances with the Country U23’s representative sides as they challenged Samoa before beating Scotland last weekend.

Having impressed in those two matches and also claiming the Country Rugby League Player of the Year Award, Newcastle came knocking.

With Country Rugby League changing the Country Championships from an open competition to an U23’s competition this year, Freeman-Quay is grateful for the chance that has provided for him.

“I didn’t play any U20’s at all and I think I probably matured a bit later as a footballer, the opportunity I have now is really good,” Freeman-Quay said.

Having overseen Freeman-Quay’s development at the West Belconnen Warriors for the last two seasons, Troy Thompson believed the opportunity was a just reward for the tireless second rower.

“He’s just a consistent footballer,” Thompson said. “He’s tough, he’s durable, he doesn’t miss many games. He’s the complete package.

“Hopefully he gets an off-season doing some weights and having some NRL trainers around him and he can go to the next level.”

Having seen Freeman-Quay sign with the Knights, Thompson believes it shows footballers at the Warriors that there are pathways for players to forge a career out of rugby league.

“There’s a chance for guys if they want to have a crack, there are opportunities out there. Tori making the Monaro side and the Country side can show you that.”

Freeman-Quay leaves the West Belconnen Warriors having scored 18 tries in 81 first grade appearances.

More: http://websites.sportstg.com/assoc_page.cgi?client=7-1084-0-0-0&sID=13485&&news_task=DETAIL&articleID=60284459