Archie

• Love My Mighty Raiders! RNA Website Developer
  • Administrator
  • Jason Croker
Shillington a Raider until 2015
« on: July 05, 2011, 04:50:04 PM »

The Canberra Raiders have been handed another huge boost following last night's big win against the Sydney Roosters, with news today that Raiders, Queensland and Australian prop David Shillington has re-signed with the club until the end of 2015.

Shillington was on contract with the Raiders until the end of 2012, but both the club and Shillington were keen to extend the current deal and secure his future in the nation's capital.

Shillington said the choice was easy as far as his football career was concerned and said it's a deal he and the club had been working on for some time.

“I'm loving being at the Raiders. I moved down a few years ago and it's been great for my footy and I've enjoyed living here and working with all the boys,” Shillington said. “The Raiders came to me a couple of months ago and asked me if I wanted to extend and I was quite happy to after we worked out a new deal. I'll be here for next year and three more so I'm here for the long haul.”

Out injured at the moment Shillington said he was confident of a return to the paddock in the near future and said he's hoping he can return to a winning team and make a run at the finals.

“I'm hoping to be back in a couple of weeks and get myself back to playing some week in week out footy,” he said. “I'm hopeful of being back for the Storm match in two weeks but at this stage it's looking more likely like the following week against the Dragons.

“The boys have been great the past two weeks and if we can keep this form up we can win more games and move forward from there.”

Raiders Coach David Furner said the club was thrilled to have Shillington remain in green and said his contributions on and off the field makes him a valuable part of the organisation.

“We've had a number of players re-signing this year and at the start of the year we said we'd be focussing on retention and Dave fits into this category,” Furner said. “It's also for a long period to and to be successful as a club you need players signed up for a long time.

“David is a leader in this team and he brings those qualities and having him here for the future gives us more stability in that position.”

Source: League Unlimited