• Jason Croker
Raiders out to make it three in a row
« on: July 07, 2011, 02:39:32 PM »
Raiders out to make it three in a row

CANBERRA RAIDERS v CRONULLA SUTHERLAND SHARKS
Toyota Stadium, Saturday July 17 at 5.30pm
Referees: Jason Robinson & Gerard Sutton

WHAT’S AT STAKE
The Raiders are slowly clawing their way back into finals contention and need to keep winning, but they face a tough task against an in form Cronulla outfit this weekend.

The Green Machine have lost Tom Learoyd-Lahrs for the season with a bicep injury which gives Sam Mataora a chance to come into the side, with Brett White and Dane Tilse gearing up to lead the Raiders forwards.

STATS BOX

HEAD TO HEAD

Played 55, Raiders 26, Sharks 29

At Toyota Stadium, Played 25, Raiders 7, Sharks 18

LAST 5 CLASHES

2011 – RAIDERS 40 d. SHARKS 12 at Canberra Stadium
2010 – RAIDERS 20 d. SHARKS 13 at Canberra Stadium
2009 – SHARKS 24 d. RAIDERS 22 at Canberra Stadium
– RAIDERS 24 d. SHARKS 14 at Toyota Stadium
2008 – SHARKS 36 d. RAIDERS 10 at Toyota Stadium

MATCH-UPS

Nathan Massey – Nathan Gardner
It’s a battle of two pint sized fullbacks this weekend, when Nathan Massey and Nathan Gardner go head to head. Massey had his best game in Green last weekend against the Roosters and showed he knows how to handle NRL footy, while Gardner is arguably the Sharks most dangerous attacking weapon.

Blake Ferguson – Matthew Wright
The match up could read Ferguson v the Sharks supporters, as they’re sure to give their former hero plenty of lip from the stands on Saturday. The challenge for Ferguson will be to channel that into a strong on field effort and a try or two will surely do that. Matthew Wright is a strong defender who can save a try so the Raiders will need to get their men outside him.

Dane Tilse – Luke Douglas
This could also include Brett White and Kade Snowden, with the battle up front sure to be explosive this weekend. Both Tilse and White will step up in the absence of Tom Learoyd-Lahrs and David Shillington so expect plenty happening in the middle of the park.

HE SAID IT – with Blake Ferguson
“''I'm expecting sledging [from the Cronulla crowd], they'll be ripping into me. I didn't leave on the best of terms but I'll be looking to have a big game this weekend.”

WORTH NOTING

* Brett White made 22 Hit ups against the Roosters
* Sam Mataora comes back into the side this week
* Blake Ferguson still leads the try scoring list with 10 for the Raiders
* The Raiders Toyota Cup kicks off against the Sharks at 3.15pm

Source: Raiders.com.au