Topic: NRL connection to lead Kangaroos revival

RNA

• Administrator
  • Jason Croker
NRL connection to lead Kangaroos revival
« on: July 08, 2011, 10:34:27 AM »
NRL connection to lead Kangaroos revival

THEY are two players more familiar with the turf of some of Australia’s biggest stadiums than the somewhat humbler surrounds of Freebody Oval.

Between them, Aaron Gorrell and Daniel Vidot have played more than 100 games in the NRL, Gorrell with St George Illawarra and then Brisbane, Vidot with the Canberra Raiders.

And having both plied their trade at the highest level, a developing partnership between the newly united teammates could be the catalyst for a Queanbeyan Kangaroos revival this season.

A member of this year's Queensland emerging Origin squad, Vidot was allocated to the Roos midseason after Canberra was required to have its fringe first graders front up in the local competition.

Last season's top try scorer at the Raiders, the 21-year-old played his first game for the Kangaroos in the side's crucial 22-18 win over the Woden Valley Rams last weekend.

Vidot was a late inclusion in the squad after he'd initially been expected to sit out the match due to injury. The uncertainty left him unable to train with his new teammates before Saturday's clash with the Rams.

Admitting he'd been a touch out of synch after being parachuted into an unfamiliar line-up at the last minute, Vidot said the quality of the competition had exceeded his expectations.

"I don't think it was too bad, it was pretty physical, I'd say the standard is definitely higher than all the boys thought it would be,'' he said.

"Being my first run, I didn't know anybody and was trying to learn some of the plays just before the game but give it a few weeks and we'll start to get some combinations going.''

The four-point victory was arguably the Kangaroos most important of the season after the defender premier had dropped five of its previous six matches.

But despite still sitting two wins outside the top four, the Roos look well positioned to make a late season surge to the finals.

With Vidot likely to partner NSW Country representative Travis Robinson in the centres, the Kangaroos will boast the most damaging midfield combination in the competition.

Out wide, the side's stocks also include ACT representatives Daniel Watt and Lance Wright. And the club has recently signed former Australian Rugby Sevens representative and Manly Sea Eagles reserve grader Jordan Macey.

Throw into the mix Gorrell's playmaking credentials at either five-eighth or hooker and there's no doubt the Roos boast plenty of strike power.

While the team's backline looks a match for any in the league however, it's in the forwards where the reigning champions have struggled most this season.

But Gorrell, who last year captain/coached the Kangaroos to the club's first premiership in 25 years, said that was an issue well on its way to being fixed.

"I think we started to turn it around against Blues two weeks ago, even though we didn't get the win, there were signs and then last week was the best performance from the forwards in a fair while,'' he said.

"As a squad we had a few chats and some blokes were getting a bit embarrassed with what we were coming up with but we should keep improving from here.''

Source: Queanbeyan Age