Topic: Raiders set to open talks with Dugan

Renee

• Jason Croker
Raiders set to open talks with Dugan
« on: July 27, 2011, 09:32:59 PM »
Raiders set to open talks with Dugan

CANBERRA is set to negotiate the contract extension of superstar Josh Dugan at the end of the season after talks were put on hold at the start of the year.

The Raiders are set to open talks with Josh Dugan for a contract extension - Getty Images

Raiders chief executive Don Furner is eager to lock the livewire fullback at the club long term before coming off contract at the end of 2012.

Linked with the Roosters and Wests Tigers over the past six months, according to Furner it was “at (Dugan’s) request to put negotiations on hold” although the 21-year-old is a top priority.

“There’s no doubt he’s going to be in demand and he’s a huge priority for us,” Furner told ABC radio in Canberra on Wednesday.

“We wanted to talk to Josh at the start of the year when he was in contention for Origin which he obviously played.

“We’ll get these resigning out of the road and if Josh is interested then we’ll sit down at the end of the year.

“I haven’t restarted that up (yet).”

During those negotiations, Furner said the salary cap will be estimated for 2013 when negotiating an extension on the custodian’s term but in the meantime the club is close to resigning hooker Glen Buttriss and extending the term of their left edge.

“I’ve been working with Blake Ferguson and Jarrod Croker’s manager for some time now and I’d be very surprised if we don’t get those two guys to extend,” he said.

“They’ve both indicated they want to be part of this club and that we have got something special even though we haven’t had a great year both of those indicated talks a couple of weeks ago.

“Both good young potentially representative outside backs.”

Like Dugan they are already locked up until end of 2012 meaning they will be with the Green Machine for sometime should the extension come to fruition.

“If we can extend them and push them out now then they get some security as do we,” said Furner.

“As we did with (David Shillington) and a few others (Dane Tilse), we’ve extended them past 2012.”

Despite looking like Buttriss would leave at the end of the year, it now looks as if he is staying at the Raiders, with Furner and his manager now deep in discussions for the length of his stay in Canberra.

“We’re looking at a two year term with Glen,” Furner revealed.

“I’ve got to sit down with Glen this week.

“The coaching staff certainly sees him as part of the future."

Source: sportsnewsfirst.com.au