Topic: Uate provides for centre's try

Renee

• Jason Croker
Uate provides for centre's try
« on: August 09, 2011, 02:48:58 PM »
Uate provides for centre's try

NEWCASTLE, NSW - It's not usual that a winger passes to a centre for a try, but Newcastle NRL veteran Adam MacDougall reckons it's about time there's some give and take in his dynamic combination with Akuila Uate.

"I set up enough for him so he can give me one back every now and then," quipped MacDougall on Uate setting up the first of his two tries in the 40-8 romp over Canberra.

"It was good for him to pass the ball today for me to score a try. I actually had to double check the replay."

MacDougall has only played five matches this season but, after putting dominant back-to-back performances together over the Raiders and Gold Coast, it's clear his dual-act with Uate is a lethal weapon for the finals-bound Knights.

"I'd say they're one of the best in the game," said Knights captain Kurt Gidley. "It's nice to watch when you're out there playing with them. Dougs in some open space and Aku wherever he pops up."

Before 36-year-old MacDougall finally put nagging injury behind him and returned against the Titans, it seemed two significant milestones would be beyond the "Mad Dog" and Uate this season.

But with their powers combined, MacDougall continues to edge towards 100 career tries (he's currently 91), while Uate (13 for 2011) is in the frame for back-to-back top tryscorer gongs as he closes in on Canterbury's Ben Barba (15).

"Dougs is still as dangerous as anyone in the game and I think Aku benefited a couple of times," said coach Rick Stone.

"It's a lethal edge. Dougie's still got plenty to offer there and we all saw what Aku did today."

Source: fijitimes.com