Topic: Queanbeyan Kangaroos on track to go back-to-back

Renee

• Jason Croker
Queanbeyan Kangaroos on track to go back-to-back
« on: August 28, 2011, 05:28:39 PM »
Queanbeyan Kangaroos on track to go back-to-back

N all probability, Queanbeyan Kangaroos centre Ryan Jones will finish this year’s Canberra Raiders Cup season having scored just the one first-grade try.

To view The Queanbeyan Age photo gallery of the Queanbeyan Kangaroos v Goulburn Bulldogs match, click here.

It’s not exactly a record that stacks up against the likes of established backline stars Travis Robinson or Lance Wright.

But neither Wright nor Robinson, who between them have crossed the stripe 33 times this year, have notched a more important four-pointer in 2011 than Jones’ 70th minute match-winner against Goulburn on Sunday.

In just his second game in the top grade for the Kangaroos, the 21-year-old showed perfect timing to score his first try of the season when the defending premiers needed it most.

Down 14-12 in last weekend’s elimination semi-final with the clock winding down, Jones took it upon himself to carry three Goulburn defenders over the line and plant the ball down.

It was a fair effort from a player who wasn’t even made aware of his call up from reserve grade until three days before the big game.

“I’d been training with firsts the whole week but I wasn’t too sure which team I’d end up playing for until Thursday night,” Jones said.

“To get my first try in first grade this year like that was a really good feeling, I was just praying the ref called it.

“When I got the ball I felt I had a bit of momentum behind me so I thought I’d give it a go and I guess it came off.”

The win means the Kangaroos will next play the loser of this Sunday’s major semi-final between the Queanbeyan Blues and the Belconnen Scholars for a place in the grand final.

But with Andrew Hunter and Clint Wright both expected to return to the Roos line-up for next weekend’s match, Jones is unlikely to get the opportunity to repeat his finals heroics.

Against Goulburn, Kangaroos showed few signs of the attacking flair that has marked the side’s run of recent good form.

After falling behind 12-6 early in the second-half, Robinson put the Roos back in front after a trademark display of strength and footwork.

The makeshift five-eighth’s 18th try of the season was soon cancelled out by a four-pointer to Goulburn’s Mik Webber before Jones stepped up to seal the result with 10 minutes to play.

Source: queanbeyanage.com.au