Topic: “I’ve loved every minute of it”: Tongue

Renee

• Jason Croker
“I’ve loved every minute of it”: Tongue
« on: August 28, 2011, 07:35:46 PM »
“I’ve loved every minute of it”: Tongue

Outgoing Raiders captain Alan Tongue says he’s been very fortunate to have such great support from his family, fans and everyone involved with the Raiders as his side suffered a cruel loss to the Panthers.

“I’ve been so fortunate with all the support from all the fans and members, it’s just been great,” he said.

“It’ll probably take me a while to get around everyone, but it’s been great, I’ve loved every minute of it.”

Tongue scored a crucial try late in the first half, and it was a try that bought back memories for the Canberra stalwart.

“It was pretty special, pretty close to where I scored my first try here.

“It got us in front at half time and we were pretty confident, but just a lackluster start to the second half made it tough for us.”

Tongue was unselfish in his final outing at Canberra Stadium, putting the team before himself, as he’s done throughout his career.

“I always thought it was going to be pretty emotional coming out, especially with the kids and with all the family here, but I needed to put that aside and focus on what I needed to do for the team,” Tongue said.

“My performances have probably been down the last couple of weeks, so I needed to put the team first. At the end of the day, I’m just gutted we couldn’t get the points.”

It’s not all doom and gloom for Tongue however, as he still can leave the game a winner in the final match of the season next weekend against the Bulldogs.

“We’ve got to learn lessons from this – next weekend its Andrew Ryan’s last game, so it’ll be nice to go up there and do the same thing to him.”

Source: raiders.com.au