Topic: Wighton starts training with Raiders NRL squad

Archie

• Love My Mighty Raiders! RNA Website Developer
  • Administrator
  • Jason Croker
Wighton starts training with Raiders NRL squad
« on: November 03, 2011, 01:25:19 PM »
No pain, no gain for Wighton

ORANGE product Jack Wighton will begin a summer of pain today.

A rugby league star of the future, Wighton will begin training with the Canberra Raiders’ full-time NRL squad in the nation’s capital in preparation for the upcoming 2012 season.

The 18-year-old, in many ways, isn’t looking forward to it.

And with endless fitness sessions, sand dune runs, countless hours in the gym and stair climbs set to dominate his weeks leading into Christmas, who could blame him?

But, in many ways, it’s a dream come true.

Earmarked for a top grade debut in 2013, the two months Wighton is set to spend with the Green Machine’s NRL squad means he is one step closer to completing a lifelong dream - and it could mean he plays in the NRL in 2012.

“I’m training with the full-time boys until about Christmas, then I’ll go back with the under 20s boys until March,” Wighton said.

“I’ve enjoyed the (off-season) break. I’m a bit nervous about training with the big boys, though. I’m a little bit unfit at the moment.

“I haven’t set any goals yet. I’m just hoping to go through the year uninjured.”

Usually a half or five-eighth, Wighton will train in the centres for the majority of the pre-season.

It’s a position the Orange CYMS and Bloomfield Tigers junior hasn’t played a lot of, but says he is prepared to play when he runs out for the Raiders’ Toyota Cup team in his third year in the national under 20s competition.

Wighton said he would still pick the brains of first grade halves Terry Campese, Josh McCrone and Sam Williams every chance he gets.

“There’s a lot I can learn,” he said.

“I’ll always ask guys like Josh McCrone questions if I’ve got one. I’ll be training in the centres most likely, so there’s other guys I’ll learn from, too.”

The 2011 season was a breakout year for Wighton.

He captained the NSW under 18s in the curtain-raiser to game two of last season’s State of Origin in Sydney, a game they won 18-10.

And while Canberra failed to make the finals last year, he is confident they can rebuild and enjoy a strong season in 2012.

“I’m hoping we can pick it up after last year. It’d be good to make the finals,” he said.

Source: Central Western Daily