Topic: NRL training experience to aid Wighton's Toyota Cup Campaign

Archie

• Love My Mighty Raiders! RNA Website Developer
  • Administrator
  • Jason Croker
NRL training experience to aid Wighton's Toyota Cup Campaign
« on: December 22, 2011, 11:35:38 AM »
NRL training experience to aid Wighton's Toyota Cup Campaign

Raiders fans, meet the youngest member of the fulltime first grade training squad for 2012: Jack Wighton.

At just 18 years of age, Wighton, on the back of a marvelous 2011 season in the Toyota Cup, was invited to train with the top squad and has shown great maturity and physical prowess in his efforts so far in pre season training.

Blessed with a plethora of natural attacking ability and a sublime athletic frame, Wighton impressed many astute judges in the Toyota Cup this year.

Plying his trade at either five-eighth or centre, the Orange CYMS product went on to register 15 tries, 11 try assists, 13 line breaks as well as averaging 4 tackle breaks per game.

Not one to shirk the hard work in defence either, Wighton also averaged 18 tackles per game.

In what is sure to be a scary thought for opposition teams in 2012, the former Australian Schoolboy representative believes his game has improved immensely under the expert tutelage of the Raiders NRL players and Coach David Furner.

“Pre season’s been tough. It’s been a good experience though getting to train with all the older boys in first grade and learning from them.”

“Crokes [Jarrod Croker], Campo [Terry Campese] and Joely T [Joel Thompson] have all been awesome in helping me out. At first I was a bit shy when I started but those guys really helped me out and got me talking to make me feel more comfortable and less shy. It’s been really good.”

After captaining the NSW under 18s side in the curtain raiser to Game Two in the State of Origin series this year, Wighton revealed that he plans to take on more of a leadership role next year in the Toyota Cup.

“I’m going to try and take on more of a leadership role next year in the 20s. I’m only as young as them myself but I’ll try and help them out as best I can from what I’ve learnt training with the first graders.”

Wighton has also added some bulk to his growing body over the pre season, which will make him even more of a nightmare to opposition centres when combined with his dangerous footwork, strong fend and electric speed.

“I’ve worked hard in the gym and I’ve put on a little bit more weight. I’ve increased my fitness too which has been good.”

“I’ve been working more in the centres in first grade and learning more about the little things like talking more, shape in attack and positioning.

"Centre’s probably my preferred position at the moment because it’s where I’ve been training mainly but I quite like playing five-eighth too."

“I don’t really mind where they play me in the trials I just want to have a consistently good year."

Source: Raiders.com.au