Topic: Raiders pack gets a whole lot bigger

RNA

• Administrator
  • Jason Croker
Raiders pack gets a whole lot bigger
« on: January 10, 2012, 04:23:52 PM »
Raiders pack gets a whole lot bigger

CANBERRA’S forward pack has always been renowned for its size and thanks to new talent Shannon Boyd, this year will be no different.

The second youngest first grade training squad member behind Jack Wighton, 19-year-old Boyd cuts an imposing figure at 193cm and 123kg of pure power.

The Raiders coaching staff believe that having Boyd training with seasoned front row veterans like Brett White, David Shillington and Dane Tilse will only enhance the development of NSW under 18s representative.

“It’s been pretty full on but it’s been good and I’ve learned a lot of stuff which should help me out this year,” Boyd told the Raiders website.

“It’s unreal being able to train with those sorts of players. They teach you a lot of stuff and are always helping you out.

"It’s definitely going to help my game out so I’m blessed to be able to listen and learn from them.

“Whitey’s been really good and showed me a few things along with Tommy (Learoyd-Lahrs) and Tilse.

"Now that Shillo’s come back from injury he’s also been a big help.”

“My goal this year is to hopefully debut in first grade so we’ll see how I go.

"All I can control is how I play so if I’m playing at my best hopefully I’ll be pushing for a spot.

"It’ll be such a proud moment for me running onto Canberra Stadium in first grade.

“I think I’ve handled it pretty well. I struggled the first few weeks but my fitness improved with each session which made the transition easier.”

The Cowra Magpies product, who is not just big in stature but in talent, has been dubbed a future star following an impressive season in the Toyota Cup.

Boyd averaged 104 metres and 16 tackles per game resulting in his elevation to the top squad despite having a year left in the under 20s competition.

Losing 5kg in skin folds but regaining the weight in muscle mass, Boyd has managed to increase his results in every aspect of his fitness.

With a focus of improving his on-field communication, Raiders half Josh McCrone has been more than impressed with the props first pre-season.

“I think everyone’s been pretty impressive (but) I’d say big Boydy has really impressed me,” McCrone said.

“I remember the when I first trained with the top squad and it’s a tough gig but he’s killed it and keeps getting better with every session.

“The opposed sessions aren’t good when he’s running straight at me so I’ll be looking forward to him running off my shoulder.”

With his sights set on first grade Boyd just has one final wish for 2012 - to notch up a try and avoid the dreaded nudie run.

“Hopefully I get one this year so I can avoid it two years in a row although my skin folds are down so at least I’ll be looking trim,” he laughed.

Source: Sports News First