Topic: Joe Bradley Helps Raise Funds to Support Brother's Dream

RNA

• Administrator
  • Jason Croker
Joe Bradley Helps Raise Funds to Support Brother's Dream
« on: February 02, 2012, 06:04:41 PM »
Joe Bradley Helps Raise Funds to Support Brother's Dream

For Canberra Raiders Toyota Cup star, Joe Bradley, it would be safe for an outsider to assume that the toughest person he knows would be in the mould of a rugby league player. But for those that know him closely, they know that the toughest person Bradley has encountered is in the mould of a ballet dancer.

Bradley’s brother, Tom, is one of the country’s most talented contemporary dancers and it has been his lifelong dream to showcase his talents on the biggest stage possible through the Sydney Dance Company.

Growing up in Cootamundra though, where rugby league players are idolised and contemporary dancers are, well, not so idolised, meant growing up with this dream was severely tough for Tom.

Although much to brother Joe’s admiration, Thomas never shied away from his dream.

“He’s been inspirational in the way he’s gone about it [chasing his dream]. He’s come from a small little country town and gone a long way,” Joe said.

“No one else from Cootamundra has done what he’s done. It’s a little country town where being a dancer isn’t the usual way of going about things so that shows a lot of courage and resolve to do what he’s done.”

“He did cop some grief growing up and he went through some tough times but the most important thing is that he stuck at it. He came out the other side of it and he’s where he is now because of that.”

Tom’s passion and dedication to pursue his dream has had a marked impact on Joe by portraying to the former NSW Under 17’s representative the required mental fortitude to make it to the elite level in his chosen sport.

“His journey has been really inspiring. He’s done all the hard work and he’s nearly all the way to achieving his dream. I’m proud of where he’s got to. He’s got to the top in his chosen sport and now I’m working my way to get to the top in my sport.”

Tom joined the Sydney Dance Company this year as the recipient of the Sydney Dance Company Foxtel Scholarship, one of only a few contemporary dance scholarships in Australia that provides an opportunity to train and perform in a major season as a professional, alongside some of the country’s best dancers.

Unfortunately though, Tom may be not be able to achieve his dream.
While the pathways afforded to Joe in his pursuit of higher honours in rugby league are as supportive as they come, the same cannot be said for dancing.

Coming from a working class family, Tom’s family has done all they can to support their sons dream, but they are in need of some generous financial assistance to aid Tom so that he’s able to pay all his fees, relocate to Sydney and cover his costs for the year as a professional at the dance company.

Joe has urged all Canberra Raiders fans and for those who appreciate an athlete’s dedication to achieve their goal, to generously donate to Tom’s cause.

“The pathways for rugby league are very supportive and provide a lot for young blokes like myself throughout the junior development systems in the country. From there clubs such as the Raiders take you on when you’re young and support you through their systems in the Harold Matthews and SG Ball competitions. On the other side for Tom though, there isn’t really any pathways for him unfortunately.”

“It’d be amazing for him to achieve his dream and knowing that all the hard work he’s put in is rewarded. The Sydney Dance Company is looking to raise $50 000 for a full time contract for Tom to help him to achieve his dream and any assistance will be greatly appreciated.”

To generously help the Sydney Dance Company raise the funds for Tom or for more information please click on the following link:

Click Here

Source: Raiders.com.au