Topic: Furner Has Mental Picture of What Raiders Need to Improve

Archie

• Love My Mighty Raiders! RNA Website Developer
  • Administrator
  • Jason Croker
Furner Has Mental Picture of What Raiders Need to Improve
« on: May 14, 2012, 12:53:04 PM »
Defence the key for us now: Furner

Canberra Raiders coach David Furner believes his side are continually improving after their 40-34 victory over the Eels on Sunday.

Speaking after the game, a partially satisfied Furner felt that a full 80 minute effort will be required to compete with the top sides in upcoming weeks.

“It was nice to get the two points, I’m happy with that,” Furner said.

“I was happy for about 60 minutes of our performance, but concentration and sticking to our principles let us down.”

The Raiders were brilliant in attack, making the Eels defence look helpless on numerous occasions, and whilst Furner was pleased with that element of the game, he feels his side need some defensive practice of their own.

“We’ll review the match first, I’ve got a mental picture of what we need to do to improve, and that basically revolves around concentration and discipline in defence.

“Especially when possession swings and we face repeat sets, we have to learn to combat that more effectively.

“But full credit to Parramatta, they used the ball well then they got it.”

However, it wasn’t all doom and gloom from Furner, who believes some minor tweaks are all his side needs.

“For 60 minutes our defence was very good.

“We were turning up for each other and doing what we trained for, which is great to see.

“We have a bye next week, so we just have to keep working and see how we go.

Source: Raiders