Topic: Raiders set to sack Monaghan

RNA

• Administrator
  • Jason Croker
Raiders set to sack Monaghan
« on: November 05, 2010, 08:12:01 PM »
Raiders set to sack Monaghan
5 November 2010, 7:29 pm

Disgraced Canberra centre Joel Monaghan is expected to be sacked as soon as an extraordinary Raiders board meeting is held in the national capital - which could be as early as this weekend.

Raiders chairman John McIntyre said on Friday he was ringing the eight board members in an attempt to organise a meeting to deal with Monaghan's Mad Monday "prank".

It was initially believed the Raiders board would meet on Monday, following reports that sponsors had threatened to withdraw about $1 million worth of revenue over the lewd photograph of Monaghan.

But McIntyre said the sooner the board dealt with the matter the better.

Asked if the board meeting would be held on Monday, McIntyre said: "I would prefer to have it sooner.

"I am on the phone in the process of waiting to confirm whether or not we have a conference with the board members to deal with this situation.

"As soon as I can have my fellow board members available, we will convene.

"We will make an announcement after that board meeting."

Asked whether the board meeting was being hastily organised due to pressure from sponsors, McIntyre said: "That's highly speculative".

The NRL is closely monitoring the Raiders' response to the photograph, in which Monaghan is seen in a compromising position with a dog.

Monaghan faces the prospect of not only being sacked by Canberra but also being de-registered by the NRL, ensuring he cannot play rugby league in Australia.

-AAP

Source: Tag: Rugby League - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)